Ich Hatt Eine Kamerad

I was browsing youtube on relation to the ‘quiz section’ who is that person,. mr librarian directed me to the ww2 germans singer/song,.

click after click,… i struck to one song,. ‘ich hatt eine kamerad’,…

I ever heard abt the song,. and what is all about,. but hearing it directly gave me a different perspective abt the song and the matter it sing about,.

it has a very deep deep meaning about men and women in arms,…

it reminds me of,. the burial of my late father abt a decade ago,. he has one fellow,. from a distance away,… with many difficulties,. endure himself to attend the ritual,… he was his comrad from the early of his years,…

I hope the remembrance of my father and the song will not invite any arguments,. he and his comrads might not came from the mightiest force or the greatest nation on this globe,… but the blood their sheed nonetheles has the same colour,…

G

Some years ago, in 2000, I was at a vintage car rally, several hundred vehicles and many more people.
There was a big get-together meal one night, all of us in one big building.
Some of the people there had been in WW2, some, in other wars.

At one point in the evening, an old WW2 Veteran stood, and began singing “Lili Marlene”, in German, even though he is a New Zealander.
Soon, another man stood, this one, a German, singing too.

Then I stood, for I too knew the words.

Across from me, an American stood, as did the Australian beside him.
Eventually, the whole hall was standing and singing, and the song went around again.

I can tell you this: by the time that song was over for the second time, many people in that hall, men and women both, had tears in their eyes.

Why?

Pure memory: each of us there had someone we knew and remembered.

“Ich Hat Ein Kamerad” was, and remains, one of the most moving songs I have heard, and it is fittingly still used by German Veterans.

Regarding your father:
It is fitting one who knew him from so far long ago, came to show his respects.

And that, at the end of the day, is the decent thing to do.

Regards, Uyraell.