If Todays Papers Covered D-Day

I didnt write this but thought it was cool.

6,000 American Casualties in Bloodiest Fighting to Date

In a disastrous attempt to invade Normandy, France, more than 6,000 American soldiers were either killed or wounded in action yesterday. Estimates of the number of American dead range from 2,500 to 4,900. It was the bloodiest day of the war for the U.S. thus far, and the single deadliest outing suffered by the American military since the Civil War.

Roughly half of the casualties were suffered on one beach alone, code-named “Omaha” by military commanders. The beach is 300 feet deep and ends at the base of 100-foot cliffs. Germans defended these cliffs safe inside concrete pillboxes, heavily armed with machine guns, mortars and rocket launchers.

According to sources, commanders fatally misjudged the deployment of German defensive forces. In a catastrophic failure of intelligence, commanders were unaware that the 352nd Infantry Division, the best and most experienced German unit in France, had taken up fortified defensive positions at Omaha Beach.

“They underestimated the level of resistance,” said one officer, who asked that his name be withheld. “It was a killing zone.”

At the end of the day, only a small percentage of the original invading U.S. units maintained a tenuous toehold on Omaha Beach. Just two of 29 “amphibious” tanks launched at the beach actually made it to shore. Destroyed landing craft, vehicles and bodies littered the water’s edge and beach.

The debacle at Omaha Beach was emblematic of the invasion as a whole, as countless units throughout Normandy landed in the wrong place or met fiercer than expected resistance. American censors barred the press from most areas of the deadly battleground, forbidding the publishing of any photographs of dead soldiers.

Military and White House officials defend these restrictions on the press as necessary to maintain troop and national morale. Civil libertarians retort that these and many other measures undertaken by the Roosevelt administration are unconstitutional.

“The administration is using the war on fascism as a pretext for stripping away our freedoms,” said a spokesperson for the ACLU.

The spokesperson argued that by “taking the war to the enemy,” as President Roosevelt has put it, we are actually worsening our security situation. “Since the attack on Pearl Harbor, there hasn’t been a single attack on U.S. soil,” he said. “Yesterday we lost some 6,000 men invading a country that had nothing to do with Pearl Harbor.”

As a whole, sources estimate that the Allies endured a shocking total of 10,500 casualties in a single day of combined land, sea and airborne operations. This marks an unprecedented rise in the already high casualty rate from the war.

Inside sources which declined to be identified pointed the finger of blame at General Dwight Eisenhower, who they say was warned of the probability of high casualties and yet still approved the now-discredted battle plan. Back in the States, peace activists called for his resignation.

At a contentious press conference late yesterday, Eisenhower tried to cast events in the best possible light. “The invasion is a tremendous success,” he told an incredulous press corps. “The level of casualties, while high, is actually lower than we expected.”

According to highly-placed sources, the Allied high command anticipated that a “successful” landing would cost 10,000 dead and 30,000 wounded, and actually braced themselves for an even heavier casualty level.

A letter has come into the possession of this newspaper which Eisenhower had prepared on the eve of the invasion in the event that the invasion ended in just such a disaster. It reads: “Our landings have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based on the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone.”

Eisenhower declined to comment on why, despite the disastrous results of the invasion, he has refused to release the letter. He also angrily rejected calls to withdraw the troops, as several experts have urged in the face of the exponentially growing casualty rate, and as he himself suggested in the letter above.

Inside sources whisper that Eisenhower suffers from a messianic complex. They point to the curious wording of another letter he issued to the troops, this one made public on the morning of the Normandy debacle. “You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade,” he wrote.

Sources are troubled by Eisenhower’s frequent allusions to his “deep faith” in “God,” which he has repeatedly invoked as a justification for his decisions. Eisenhower closed his letter to the troops with, “Let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.”

Frenchmen and Germans interviewed at a cafe’ in Paris, France angrily disputed Eisenhower’s characterization of the invasion as a “great and noble undertaking.”

“We don’t want to be ‘liberated,’” said one Frenchman, on break from his job as a Vichy government travel agent who books trains to Germany. “The arrogant Americans think the whole world wants to be just like them. We just want to be left in peace.”

He said that he looked forward to the day when France, Germany and the rest of Europe could be unified under one government, and such “messy wars of so-called ‘liberation’” would be a thing of the past. “Democracy is overrated,” he grumbled as he stubbed out his Galois.

For sure this might be a special coverage in nowadays papers…

Sad but true, Mike!

Very well written Mike, it does make one think about how society has changed since the days when duty to one’s country was regarded as normal…

Do you have a link to the origin of the piece ?

Hi Cuts,
I wish I could take credit for it but I cant. The person who posted on other site didn’t know the origin.

Hein Severloh : the beast of omaha. estimates say that his 30 man platoon shot 2,000-2500 americans on omaha. Most were shot by Mr.Severloh himself, with his tripod mounted MG-42. Hein fired 12,000 8mm rounds before withdrawing from the beach after 8-9 hours

another
article:
Still searching for peace: the German who felled more than 2,000 Allied soldiers
With Germany represented at commemoration for the first time, Tony Paterson meets the ‘Beast of Omaha’ Beach’
05 June 2004

He would be a war hero if he were British or American. Yet Hein Severloh is nicknamed the Beast of Omaha Beach for the carnage he inflicted on D-Day. He is reputed to be the German soldier who killed and wounded the most enemy troops in a single day during the whole of the Second World War.

Four thousand, one hundred and eighty-four Americans were shot in front of his bunker WN 62, above Omaha Beach on 6 June 1944. Hein Severloh was responsible for at least half of those deaths. He fired his machine gun at advancing GIs, almost without a break, for nine hours. The heat from the gun barrels he had to keep changing set the grass on fire around his bunker as American bodies bobbed and floated towards him on a flood tide stained pink with their blood.

Today his victims lie buried in the vast American cemetery above Omaha Beach that President George Bush will visit this weekend. They account for nearly a quarter of the 9,368 white stone crosses and Stars of David that cover the graveyard.

Hein Severloh was a raw 20-year-old Wehrmacht private on D-Day, and the invasion was his first real taste of action. He is now a frail and bespectacled pensioner of 81, who lives in a timbered farmhouse in the village of Metzingen near Hamburg. He speaks with a lisp, the result of a stroke he suffered years ago.

Last week, he nervously slapped his thigh in an attempt to fight back his tears as his mind went back to that day of slaughter. He wept as he said: “What should I have done? I thought I would never get out of there alive. I thought I am fighting for my life; it’s them or me, that’s what I thought.”

This weekend, Chancellor Gerhard Schröder will become the first post-war German leader to attend D-Day anniversary celebrations. Opinion polls show more than 70 per cent of Germans are glad he is going. The German Chancellor said the decision to invite him to the D-Day celebrations “shows that the postwar period is over and done for good”. On D-Day, he was two months old.But that day is all too real for Hein Severloh. He is plagued by a recurring nightmare, not from when he was mowing down Americans 600 yards away on Omaha Beach. “At that distance, the enemy look like ants,” he said. It happened when he reached for his rifle during a lull in the fighting.

A young GI who had survived the onslaught in the sea was running up the beach. Mr Severloh took aim and fired. The round smashed into the GI’s forehead and sent his helmet spinning. The soldier slumped dead on the sand. Mr Severloh still remembers the man’s contorted expression. “It was only then I realised I had been killing people all the time,” he said, “I still dream of that soldier now. I feel sick when I think about it.”

For Hein Severloh, the war began and ended that day. His bunker was knocked out by a grenade which killed his commanding officer. He was taken prisoner by the Americans and sent to the United States five days later. He spent three years as a prisoner-of-war.

By 1959, his story had become well known in the United States. The Americans called him the Beast of Omaha Beach. Mr Severloh was too ashamed to tell his four children about his experiences, yet he was desperate to meet Americans who had survived. Eventually, he found David Silva, a GI wounded three times on Omaha Beach. When the men met in Germany in the 1960s they hugged each other for five minutes. “He never asked me to forgive him, but I have done so all the same,” Mr Silva says today. “It is important for him.” Franz Gockel served with Hein Severloh at bunker WN 62. Yet in many ways he has been luckier. For the 78-year-old veteran, the country he once occupied has become a second home. Every summer, he and his wife Hedwig rent a cottage in the Normandy village of Colleville-sur-Mer, barely a quarter of a mile from the former killing fields on Omaha Beach.

Tomorrow, Franz Gockel will be among the handful of German veterans who will meet Chancellor Schröder and President Jacques Chirac at D-Day celebrations in Caen castle. “I am glad Schröder is attending,” he said. “For me and my former comrades, it demonstrates the terrible experiences of the Second World War are now behind us and that we are now finally on the way to build a new Europe.”

On D-Day, Gockel was just 18. He was ordered to his gun emplacement at one in the morning on 6 June, hearing gunfire to the west as the Allies were parachuted in at the start of the invasion. As dawn broke, his crew was horrified to see the sea in front of them thick with warships, troop ships and landing craft. “We knew we had no hope of fighting off such a force,” he said.

The shelling lasted for five hours. Franz Gockel cowered under the heavy wooden platform that served as a mount for his machinegun and prayed. “We could do nothing against the shells. I just kept shouting out, ‘Hail Mary Mother of God, please save me’. Somehow, it helped.”

As the Americans began to pour out of their landing craft, the young soldier stood to his Polish-made machinegun and opened fire. Six hundred yards away across the sand, the bodies began to slump in the water. “I didn’t know how many I was killing until the corpses started being washed up the beach on the tide,” he said.

Then his gun was knocked out in a grenade attack that left him with only a few cuts. Then he poked his head over the edge of a slit trench and felt a massive blow to his left hand. “I saw three of my fingers dangling from their tendons,” he said. " But for me it was a million-dollar shot; I was out of the battle." Franz Gockel was evacuated with other wounded Germans. Back in action in November 1944, he was captured by the Americans in eastern France.

Today, a tall obelisk commemorating the American dead stands above the grassed-over remains of bunker WN 62. There is nothing to remind the millions of visitors to the site, of the Germans who were killed there. Last year, Franz Gockel erected a small wooden cross outside his bunker in memory of the 18 men of his 25-strong unit who died in action. Less than a week later, it was vandalised.

Chancellor Schröder said the D-Day anniversary “means that for us Germans the Second World War is finally over.” But the German survivors of D-Day know the war, and all the guilt, will end only when they are dead.

Interesting post Hosenfield, thanks for posting it.

I think that it’s a bit of a mistake to write a report from a modern perspective without taking into account the fact that there had been high-intensity fighting for five years and also that WWI and it’s vast casualty figures were still within living memory.
It is the trend nowadays to criticise modern war reporting by saying “They wouldn’t have said that about so-and-so, of course they understood duty then.” This is often now applied to the oxymoronic “War on Terror” or to Iraq but I suspect somilar things were said about Vietnam. However none of these are analagous to WWII, firstly they are on a vastly smaller scale and against markedly militarily inferior forces and secondly they are largely “elective” wars in which America and latterly Britain have chosen to start.

Start? I believe George said “they started it” :?

So he did and from one point of view that’s true, certainly with regards to Afghanistan and the nebulous “War on Terror” which could be seen as a legitimate response to an attack. However Iraq is a purely elective war, in a very real sense Bush started it because he wanted to, he didn’t have to.