Individual Japanese Service Records

Hi folks, anyone offer me some help??

I am trying to find out what happened to a particular Japanese soldier during WW2. He was a visitor to the UK in 1935 and kept a diary of his travel here from Japan by Steamer and of his daily work here. I am writing about his experience in 1935 England. I am trying to piece together what happened to him from 1936 until he died. What is confusing me is that his family believe he got his call up papers in early 1941, they know he was killed in October 1944 in Papua New Guinea and that he was in the 18th Army, 3rd Telegraph regiment. However, they said he sent many postcards from China and none from PNG (guess that was no holiday) The 18th Army was not formed until Nov. 1942 and the 18th was apparently never in China. So he must have been in China between early 1941 and late 1942 but in a different army/regiment (In theory)
The only way to know for sure is by checking individual service records. I don’t know if they exit in Japan or where to begin. Anyone out there have any ideas how I can progress this bit of research?

NB the 18th ‘Regiment’ was in China but I don’t think there is any confusion between the two 18ths in his case.

Thanks in advance!

Some 18th Army records are held here http://ajrp.awm.gov.au/AJRP/AJRP2.nsf/4d16688558a2f3b1ca256532001f170e/d673e25950fc4a7e4a25687b001977b0?OpenDocument but it looks like the nominal rolls aren’t there.

If the records you want still exist, you will probably find them, or information about where to find them, by contacting Japan’s National Institute for Defence Studies http://www.nids.go.jp/english/military_archives/index.html

The man you’re interested in was probably killed, or died of malnutrition or disease, during this campaign http://ajrp.awm.gov.au/ajrp/remember.nsf/Web-Printer/822A1A0EB3B9807ECA256B600003C844?OpenDocument

The China episode might be explained by Japan’s practice of releasing troops from service and later recalling them. I can’t recall the dates when this occurred but I think numbers were released in the late 1930s and or early 1940s and then recalled for service for the war against the Allies.

Thanks ‘Rising Sun’, I’ll check out your proposed sites. I’m told this chap was “killed” in a place called Karawap but can’t find the location on any maps old or new in the net. Anyway I’ll keep plugging away. Thanks again

Try Karawop or Cape Karawop, which is what you’re looking for.

You’re a star! I have has a lot of problems with Japanese translated words given to me with the odd letter throwing me off track. I should have guessed it would be one of those! I’m surprised Google didn’t throw up the correct association with PNG. Anyway who needs google with folks like you!:slight_smile:

Karawop is close to Wewack where I know this chap was stationed so that has to be it.

I’ve since found out he was in the “The Eastern Number 88 Unit, in Sagamihara Kanagawa- prefecture” when conscripted and then shipped to Pusan (Busan) Korea. So it looks like he was there and Manchuria from Aug. 1941 - Dec 1942 when he then showed up in Rabaul with the 3rd Tele Regt.

Thanks again for your help.

Consistent with the misspellings you’ve been struggling with, you’ll find it’s even closer to Wewak, not Wewack.

:oops: My mistake this time, Typo!

I now know he was also stationed at Boiken which is even closer to Karawop

I’m getting better though…For Madan I read Madang, for Anun I read Arung

Haven’t worked out “Rai”, “Newing”, or “Wara” which could be Warag, Warai Warat, Waran or Warapu, all in the line of his movements. Waradifficult one eh? :wink:

By the way it took me several years before the penny dropped that “KI-BU-SU” was a town called Kibworth!

Anyway I’m beginning to think the family know more about the circumstances of his death than I might get from service records. They just aren’t that enthusiastic about family history so I’m being drip fed info as an when they stumble on it.

Thanks again RS.