Infantry Phones on US Tanks

I’ve read that in the Pacific the Marines fitted tanks with a phone to it’s rear so that accompanying infantry could talk to the crew who were almost always buttoned due to Jap infantry assault. Does anyone have any pics of what these phones looked like and where they where on the vehicle? I can’t seem to find any good pics of this kind of field upgrade.

Brian

I’ve seen them in Sands Of Iwo Jima and Halls of Montezuma…check them out.

They’re pretty common nowadays - I know for certain the Australian Abrams tanks they’re just getting have been modified to get them, and I’m pretty sure the British and US tanks in Iraq have them at the moment.
As for placement, it tends to be behind the tank, usually behind one track or another - lets the person on it see forward but allows them to remain mostly in cover at the same time.

I think there is some complaint about the Abrams in relation to infantry support. The exhaust from the turbine engine is so hot it’s kind of difficult to stand directly behind. I think they might have since modified it with a directional port though…

i know they were used in the US 4th ID after D-Day i would assume other divisions had them as well

In the army I serve with that tank shown in the pic. the left bin of the 2 attached on the rear is a telephone with direct access to the tanks intercom. I guess its a holdowver of the 60’s tank doctrin as mentioned in a post above.

Nice example, and from this point of view, it looks like the tree in the background is coming out of the top hatch of the turret.

Its less of a holdover. In Iraq US soldiers found it would have been a usefll tool. Radios are not always available or as reliable for communicating with the tank crew.

Radios can also suffer from other transmissions if they’re on a net. Phone to tank is one to one.

ive seen them it was a standard field phone wired into the radio system of the tank crew. marines primarily used it. they would walk up and the tankers would get instructions and blast the japanese

Here are some pictures

Just to add the phone box pics are from Squadron Signal ( Walk Around M4 Sherman )

I’ve heard they’ve also found it sucks standing or taking cover behind a tank that uses a jet-turbine for an engine and spews molten exhaust…

He was banned for trolling, and in his particular case we aren’t going to be seeing him again.

But what if, WE want to request him back? Is there not an Amnesty process he could apply for? Is he on a lifelong Ban? If there are 2 of us that want him unbanned, do we have any say? What if there were 3 or 4 of us? hmm? hmm?

No, because he was clearly setting out to cause trouble, rather than being just stupid/immature. He was given an awful lot of chances, and clearly decided to ignore them all.

ok, ok, I was just wondering. I saw that other members were wondering so I decided to enquire. I now understand that you weren’t just being mean, but rather protecting us from the rash of trouble that he was causing. Thank You for always looking after us PDF. I understand now.

I wasn’t the only one - indeed I just warned him twice. Flamethrowerguy and Nickdfresh were the two mods who (independently) banned him.
The final straw was when he posted a poll saying:

i believe that the modorators are rud and that new ones should be appointed

in response to a warning for inappropriate behaviour.
(poll that’s from is here by the way)

Strange thing you’re asking…coming from the same region as the late colonel.:wink:

“colonel hogan” cannot return from a ban. I could care less if someone wants a second chance with a new user-ID. But continued annoyance and trolling will result in other measures…