Italian Artillery and Anti-Tank Weapons

If you have any information on any artillery and anti-tank weapons of the Italian military please post your information here.
Obice da 210/22 modello 35 Artillary Weapon

I would post more, but I do not know much about Italian Artillery and Anti-Tank weapons. So please help me out so I can learn more.

A great Italian Artillery weapon.

thank you Panzersnacker

thank you Panzersnacker

You mean Panzerknacker…you welcome.

So sorry. I was in a hurry when I was making that post. Really Sorry!

the Italian anti tank and anti personell weapons were effective, but they really struggledd with any of the Gerry (German) tanks and the personell troop carriers, but it would of been really good if this area of time and effectiveness into their other military weapons, such as EVERYTHING THEY OWNED ESPECIALLY THEIR Manlicher- Carcarno’s, after shooting a 6.5 x 55 mauser, a 6.5 x 52 carcarno, a Mk 1 No. 3 - 303 british, a 30-06 springfield, the most inaffective rifle of the four is the mannlicher carcarnos, and the sight radius was good, but still stuggaling to keep 10 rounds within a eight inch group at 200 yards. sorry, but i have a british point of view on the matter, dont worry if it is peasamistic to the Italians.

The Italians used the 20mm Solothurn S18-1000 anti-tank rifle. A big, heavy device, but effective against tanks in 1940: it could penetrate up to 40mm armour at short range (realistically, 25-30mm in combat).

The pic below comes from this site: http://www.amsd.ch/s18/menu_s18_solothurn.html

:wink:

I just love those hats - they’d go well with a lady’s outfit at the Royal Ascot races!

The horizontal bars sticking from either side of the muzzle look interesting - I’ve not seen them before, but I presume that they are to allow the gunner to check that the gun is held upright and not canted, as that affects the accuracy of the sights.

I just love those hats - they’d go well with a lady’s outfit at the Royal Ascot races!

Only if they are not alergic to the pheasant feathers.:rolleyes:

Probably those guys fight better than they looks. Couldnt be the bars also used for handling this weapon?

I don’t think so - they don’t look to be the right shape for that.

Small video of the Solo 20mm in italian hands.

http://www.wochenschau-archiv.de/kontrollklfenster.php?&PHPSESSID=&dmguid=08E92C0055BA58DF030103009D21A8C05706000000&inf=707320&outf=815760&funktion=play250k

Just wondering. There is a vast amount of technical information on ATRs floating around, but I haven’t had much luck in locating actual accounts of their use in combat. Mainly old Soviet Red Star articles that say something like “Corporal I. Shilkakov destroyed three Fascist tanks with his anti tank rifle.” Franz Kurowski’s books sometimes mention anti tank rifle use and James Lucas’ Alpine Elite mentioned use of the PzB 39 on Crete a couple of times. Plenty of stuff on the British Boys, published and on the net.

Does anyone know of any sources that mention Italian use of the Solothurn Fucile Contracarro in Africa? Theoretically, it would have been quite effective against early, thin-skinned British tanks like the Mk VIB and the Cruiser tanks, but I have never seen any actual accounts of it doing so.

Hi man
some info about italian anti tank weapons:
Solothurn S-18-1000 and 1100, delivered on autumn 1940 to 10th army, Libia, evective against light AFV and at very short range and with a lot of lucky…against cruiser tank. some ATR was installed on light tank L3, british Bren carrier, and AFV shariana M42. On september 1941 was 136 ATR in north Africa, of wich 35 to Brescia division, 60 to Pavia, 15 to Ariete, On February 1943 155 ATR, of wich 55 to Trieste, 31 to Giovani Fascisti (young fascist), 7 to Pistoia, 33 to cebtauro and 6 with sharian detachment.
20mm Breda M35 and isotta-fraschini ntiaircraft used as anti tank role
ATR Wz 35 Marosczek delivered from german in 250 item. Used in north africa by paratroopers and motorized divison.
ATR Boys, captured in Somaliland, used by Granatieri di Savoia in east africa. Trento division used boys on tobruk defence in 1941. Boys ammunition was manufactured in italy by SMI.
ATR PTRD and PTRS on russian front… the italian don’t throw away anything…

picture: italian 20x138 APHE used on ATR and AA 20mm
20 m35, and isotta fraschini

47/32 m35 and 39:
APHE M35
APBCHE M39
HE M35
HESH M41 (italian EP internal fuze)
HEAT M41 (italian EPS)

in action giovani fascisti at bir el gobi

the italian used obviously captured and supplied from germans gun, like 47mm skoda model 38 from jugoslavia, franch 25mm m37 and 47mm m 37, british 37mm bofors and 2pr.
german 3.7cm pak 36 and 5cm pak 38.
german supplied ammunition for many weapons, and take back spent case to reload.

Do you have any data on the Isotta-Fraschini? I know about the others, but not that one.

this is more a guess, as there are points protruding from the muzzle bars, might this be an aiming device showing the lead needed to engage a flanked, moving vehicle?

Hi man
some info about italian anti tank weapons:
Solothurn S-18-1000 and 1100, delivered on autumn 1940 to 10th army, Libia, evective against light AFV and at very short range and with a lot of lucky…against cruiser tank. some ATR was installed on light tank L3, british Bren carrier, and AFV shariana M42. On september 1941 was 136 ATR in north Africa, of wich 35 to Brescia division, 60 to Pavia, 15 to Ariete, On February 1943 155 ATR, of wich 55 to Trieste, 31 to Giovani Fascisti (young fascist), 7 to Pistoia, 33 to cebtauro and 6 with sharian detachment.
20mm Breda M35 and isotta-fraschini ntiaircraft used as anti tank role
ATR Wz 35 Marosczek delivered from german in 250 item. Used in north africa by paratroopers and motorized divison.
ATR Boys, captured in Somaliland, used by Granatieri di Savoia in east africa. Trento division used boys on tobruk defence in 1941. Boys ammunition was manufactured in italy by SMI.
ATR PTRD and PTRS on russian front… the italian don’t throw away anything…

Thanks for the images and information :cool: Just a question, the lower image shows one weapon that I know as “Scotti”

Did the IF firm manufactured this weapon?

It’s possible, but I doubt it because there is no obvious way to adjust the sights to allow for different target ranges and speeds.

I can tell you that Isotta Fraschini often made guns designed by Scotti.