Itchy necks ? Not us ! - German Forces | Gallery

Itchy necks ? Not us !

Johannes-Rudolf Muhlenkamp (wearing Knight's Cross) and fox terrier friend (wearing doggie tag). This 'photo was probably taken late-1943/early '44 - prior to Muhlenkamp's promotion to SS-Standartenfuhrer - during which period he commanded 5th SS Division "Wiking's" Panzer Regiment. Muhlenkamp went on to command "Wiking" for a brief period (August-October, 1944) in succession to SS-Standartenfuhrer Dr. Eduard Diesenhofer, who was recorded, officially, as "missing in action" following an unfortunate encounter between his staff car and a Shturmovik. He was subsequently assigned as an Inspector of Waffen-SS Panzer Troops. Doggie's later assignments are not recorded ... Best regards, JR.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/german-forces/46771/itchy-necks-not-us-!

All these wartime photos of animals are very touching.

Makes me think, that there is some good inside all these people despite their "faction". Alas I do not know how they accepted the "righteousness" of their actions.

The weasels that hurt animals deliberately, even today, are by me the most loathsome people around. Can they only be hostile to animals, or is there something darker under, like no feelings for humans either, having read and heard so many memories related to animals in war or life.

Great :slight_smile: