Jagdpanther at Imperial War Museum

A photo of the Jagdpanther at the Imperial War Museum in London. You can clearly see the four shell impact holes on the side that disabled it.

14-04-06 091.jpg

14-04-06 197.jpg

This vehicle originally belonged to the Schwere Panzerjäger-Abteilung 559 (heavy tank destroyer battalion) and was knocked-out during the Battle of Hechtel/Belgium (September 6-12, 1944).

Does the display mention what weapon was used to hole it?

I agree with tankgeezer !!! Three shots close to each other like the tank was sitting duck and fire to destroy it !!! Just a guess i would say it would be like 76mm or 76.2mm that destroy it . Could the 75mm of the sherman got through Jagdpanthers armor at about 500m ??? In this particular case the side armor

The side armor is fairly thin, difficult to tell without a reference for comparison. he impacts are from kinetic projectiles, be it A.P. shot, or shell, and not a bazooka, or some other type of shaped charge device. I was just curious about what actually got it.

Nice shot group. :slight_smile:

Thanx for the info. I am open to correction, but i am sure that it was a 75mm from a Sherman that disabled it. It has been a few years since i was there so i can’t remember all the info. I should have taken a pic of the display board with all the info on it.

tankgeezer thanks for the info . I was curious what disable it too . I just made a guess …

I am open to correction, but i am sure that it was a 75mm from a Sherman that disabled it.

VonWeyer thanks for the info too !! A 75mm through jagdpanthers armor … I thought it had the same armor with panther and it wasn’t so easy to be penetrated …

I suppose it all depends how close it was at the time of the shooting.

Well this i am going to say might sound stupid … Is there any chance tanks armor , each tank -german,russian or american, to be more vulnerable during the winter ??? I mean because of the cold the the tank hull was to be broken easier ??

Guys , i think there is a fifth hole in Jagdpanther’s side armor . In the back , at the engine . It is visible in the first photo . About to meters left of the three penetrated points . Could someone verify it ??? I am not sure if its a hole of an enemy shot …

Their are three holes in the center and one at the rear as in the first photo. That is correct.

And one more thing , like a hole , above the track . Or it’s not a hole ?? Lower right of the center holes right above the track

Yes. It looks like a hole, but i don’t think from a shell. Maybe it was caused from the impact of the blast from the inside out. That whole strip of metal above the track looks very fragile.

Yeah i agree with you on the last one … It made me fool … You’re right …

It was destroyed by the 75mm of a Cromwell of Lieutenant WH Griffiths 2nd Armoured Reconnaissance Batt. Welsh Guards. Both the Panther and the Jagdpanther weren’t that heavily armoured on the side (40-60mm for the Jagdpanther) and it was done at close range. The Jagdpanther in question was a command version.

Thanx for setting that straight. Appreciate the feedback.

The upper, and lower side armor of the JP is listed as 1.6", this would be vulnerable to a 75mm Sherman if it were within a reasonable distance, which is likely, due to the close placement of the 3 forward hits.With no anecdotal information, its pretty much impossible to say what round was used, 17 pdr, 75, or 76.2 mm Sherman.

ptimms nice info you got there , letting us know by what it was destroyed . But could you also find if there’s a fifth hole above the tracks ??? (its becoming boring to ask again but think it would be a nice info)

Hello fellas,I visited the IWM a good few years ago and saw the Jagdpanther.I also bought a brochure and I am pretty sure there is a little write up on the vehicle.I will look for it in the morning when my wife is a lot more awake.