Japanese Ammunition 1880-1945, by Ken Elks

Ammunition collectors will be aware of Ken Elk’s classic work, “Japanese Ammunition 1880-1945”, which covers ammunition from pistol rounds up to 40mm caliber. This was published in 1981, and contained much original research. It has been in great demand ever since.

Well, a new edition by the same author is on the way. This contains the results of all of the research which has been done since then, and is consequently more than double the length of the original. For production reasons, it is appearing in two ring-bound parts: Part 1, covering cartridges of less than 20mm calibre, is available now. Part 2 (20-40mm) is expected in March 2008. Both volumes are extensively illustrated with colour photos of rounds from the Woodin Collection – the world’s best.

I have bought Part 1 and had the chance to study a draft of Part 2. This new edition will be a “must have” for anyone interested in military ammunition of the period. It not only provides comprehensive details of all known service ammunition, the different loadings, colours, symbols etc, but also what is known or conjectured about a wide range of experimental types.

Ken may be contacted at sp@elks98.wanadoo.co.uk

great. can he help me find 7.7 ammo for less then $1 a round? stuff is not cheap.

Since he lives in the UK I very much doubt it.