Japanese Constitution

Does anybody know if Germany is also forbidden to build Aircraft Carriers because of the constitution??..seems a bit weird that an island like Japan still are forbidden to build real aircraft carriers , especially since I heard China is interested in building them. I wonder why after 60 yrs they are still so stringent on aircraft carriers-I mean, Japan has changed since WW2, I should hope

http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen

JAPAN LAUNCHES SECOND “AIRCRAFT CARRIER” OTHERWISE KNOWN AS A ''HELICOPTER CARRYING DESTROYER"

The Strategy Page reports that on August 21st Japan launched its second aircraft carrier since the end of the Second World War. The ship, christened Ise, is sister to Hyuga which was launched in March.
A third ship of the class will also be built.

The vessels measure 610 feet and displacing 18,000 tons.
They are officially labeled “helicopter-carrying destroyers” since Japan’s constitution does not allow its navy to build aircraft carriers, according to reports. However, Hyuga and Ise have full-length flight decks that can handle vertical take-off fighters like the F-35B.
For now the ships will be equipped with 11 SH-60 helicopters for mainly anti-submarine warfare, but will also be deployed for humanitarian missions. Each are fitted with vertical-launch anti-aircraft and anti-ship missiles, two 20mm Phalanx anti-missile cannon and two triple torpedo mounts.

I also understand that Japan is forbiddent to build a Nuclear submarine although India just finished launching a Nuclear submarine last mth. Doesn’t it bother the Japanese people that their constitution is so rigid? I mean, when China builds and builds aren’t they scared of the Chinese threat?,

It is not that the Constitution specifically bans carriers and subs. Article 9 actually bans the formation of any Japanese army, navy and air force, as these are seen as war-making entities.

What Japan has is the Japan Self Defense Force (JSDF). However, this is, technically, part of the Japanese national police force. Even though they have many military weapons. these are seen as self-defence capability ones. An aircraft carrier or nuclear sub would be unconstitutional because the are offensive technologies rather than defensive.

I am shocked! I can’t believe it. I mean, I read that India just launched their first Atomic sub last mth and they have the ability to build an aircraft carrier , yet Jpan being so rich can’t…oh I get it!..Japan is so rich because they don’t waste their money on Arms like USA etc…nmakes sense to me, then again, I wonder if Japan is seen as an easy target by China if they ever want to expand!