Japanese Shelter Halves

Gentlemen, my name is Bob Starr and I’m new to the forum. Currently I am looking for information regarding the shelter half that was issued to individual soldiers. I’m looking for the dimensions, color, grommet pattern, etc. If anyone out there has any information regarding this please post the information so all can share. Thank you. Bob

Hi Bob
Do you know what the effective rasnge of the Arisaka rifle 38 is

Kind Regards Phil

This rings a bell as an earlier thread on this forum or Axis History.

Maybe you can pick it up by searching each forum.

Maybe this helps.

(3) Shelter half. Although small by American or British standards, the shelter half is very serviceable. As a raincape it provides excellent protection against wetness and is preferred by many Japanese soldiers to the issue raincoat. A cord is attached to the middle of one end so that the shelter half can be suspended from the shoulders and tied under the chin. Loops through the eyelets on one of the sides then may be slipped through the eyelets on the opposite side to close it securely in front. Two of the corners rest approximately elbow high, allowing the arms freedom of movement. The shelter half also is used as a ground sheet, or to roll up in for protection in a foxhole. It can be pitched as a tent, either alone or in combination with varying numbers of others. A standard method of pitching requires 28 shelter halves.
http://ftp.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Japan/IJA/HB/HB-11.html

Thanks for the replies so far. The link to the other site was quite interesting. Bob