Japanese war crimes - personal apologies versus current government approval of crimes

Australian Army nurse receives apologies from Japanese people and government official which encourages her, quite rightly I think so far as most average Japanese are concerned, to the view that modern Japanese are very different to the Japanese who captured and abused her for many years during WWII (last couple of minutes of video captures her appreciation of this) http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/lifestyle/article/-/20458677/tale-of-courage/

Meanwhile, Japanese Prime Minister Abe, the direct descendant of major participants in the same crew which took Japan to war decides to piss off everybody in the region and anyone with a vaguely positive humanitarian sentiment by honouring the Japanese war dead, including war criminals, at the Yasukuni war shrine. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/japanese-pm-shinzo-abes-yasukuni-war-shrine-visit-stokes-tensions/story-e6frg6so-1226790109609

Nobody should have a problem with the Japanese or any other nation honouring their war dead, at the level of personal sacrifice, as instruments of their government’s policy.

Everybody should have a problem with the Japanese or any other nation honouring their war dead as contributors to a regime of unimaginable terror and horror everywhere they went.

The conservative elements in the Japanese governments which have dominated in the post-war period are quite happy to honour their war dead as contributors to a regime of unimaginable terror and horror everywhere they went, while carefully avoiding any admission that what those war dead and the survivors did was wrong.

Contrast this with Germany, which has done everything possible to do, achieve, and maintain exactly the opposite in relation to its Nazi history. And has succeeded. And doesn’t get the same continuing hostility and distrust from its neighbours and the wider world that Japan does about the prospect of resurgent fascist nationalism leading to another war.

So we have the fairly common person to person situation that the average Japanese person responding to the Australian nurse’s abysmal experience as a prisoner of the Japanese can respond properly at a decent human level, yet we also have the consistent thread since the Allies gave up prosecuting Japanese war criminals in preference for using their ilk to support the Allies’ anti-communist program of the participants in Japanese war crimes and more recently their heirs maintaining the same arrogant and inhumane attitudes which typified Japan 1933-45.

As with the causes of the Pacific War, the problem is with the Japanese government, the zaibatsu, and related elements of capitalist and nationalistic privilege.

Something that I was inclined to dismiss about three and four decades ago when first I encountered it (about thirty years after the end of the Pacific War), but am becoming less inclined to do in light of the likes of Abe persisting with his support for war criminals and their actions in Japan’s war of aggressive expansion some seventy or so years after the war, is the often quoted experience of Allied POWs after Japan surrendered that their guards said things to the effect that the surrender wasn’t the end of the war but only a step in war of 100 years or more.

It may be no coincidence that the current Japanese government is converting its very substantial self-defence force into a potentially aggressive force, primarily to resist perceived threats from China.

Perhaps if the current Japanese government and its predecessors and likely successors didn’t dismiss the appalling actions of the Japanese in China and throughout occupied territories and reinforce approval of those actions with insulting visits by Prime Ministers to the Yasukuni Shrine, and if those governments expressed the apologies which the Australian nurse got at a personal level from Japanese who had nothing to do with the war, then maybe I wouldn’t regard Japan as the Western Pacific equivalent of Israel at its conservative government level: an arrogant and unrepentant state which continually shits on its neighbours in the knowledge that it has morally unjustified support from the West for its morally insupportable conduct because it suits the morally bankrupt bastards called politicians in the West to do so in pursuit of their perception of their nations’ advantage. Yet the same morally bankrupt bastards condemn Putin et al for being morally bankrupt.

BAH!

Remember Pearl Harbor.

Mr. Vice President, Mr. Speaker, Members of the Senate, and of the House of Representatives:

Yesterday, December 7th, 1941 – a date which will live in infamy – the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its government and its emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe that I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost, but will make it very certain that this form of treachery shall never again endanger us.

Franklin Roosevelt

Japan, U.S. Agree to Broaden Security Agreement

By Merle David Kellerhals Jr. | Staff Writer | 03 October 2013

Chuck Hagel, John Kerry, Fumio Kishida and Itsunori Onodera shaking hands and posing for camera (AP Images)

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, left, and Secretary of State John Kerry, second from left, met with Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida, second from right, and Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera, right, October 3 in Tokyo.
Washington — Secretary of State John Kerry says the United States and Japan have agreed to broaden a 16-year-old security and cooperation agreement with the goal of strengthening security across the Asia-Pacific region.
“As a Pacific power, the United States understands the fundamental importance that our Pacific partnership gives to our security and to our prosperity,” Kerry said at a joint press briefing October 3 at the Iikura Guest House in Tokyo.
“So we are coming together now to modernize our deep cooperation through both of our military and our diplomatic partnerships, and that is so we can better prevent and respond to the ever-changing threats of the 21st century.”
Kerry and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel met with Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida and Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera on October 3 as part of the U.S.-Japan Security Consultative Committee, known informally as the 2+2 talks. American secretaries of state and defense have been meeting with their Japanese counterparts in these conferences since 1990; this is the first meeting to be held in Japan.
“Our bilateral defense cooperation, including America’s commitment to the security of Japan, is a critical component of our overall relationship and to the Obama administration’s rebalance to the Asia-Pacific,” Hagel told journalists.
The Japanese and U.S. officials agreed to enhance the ballistic missile defense capabilities of both countries and to locate a second advanced X-band radar site at the Air Self-Defense Force base at Kyogamisaki. They signed an agreement for creation of the Cyber Defense Policy Working Group that is charged with increasing cyberdefense cooperation between the Japanese Self-Defense Forces and U.S. forces. They also approved deployment of F-35 jet fighters and, for the first time, unmanned surveillance drones in Japan. The United States will provide Navy P-8 aircraft, an advanced manned reconnaissance airplane.
Kerry said that a joint communiqué issued October 3 represents a substantive road map that effectively updates a 16-year-old defense agreement. The update is designed to reflect the transformation that has taken place in Northeast Asia, the Asia-Pacific and the world. Kerry also noted that the United States and Japan have been the closest of allies for more than 60 years.
Hagel called the results of the security talks a significant step forward, adding that both countries will identify new technologies and capabilities that will be needed for changing security challenges.
“Following today’s decision, our two governments will work closely together to update the roles and responsibilities for each of our countries during peacetime and for all contingencies,” Hagel said. The goal is a balanced and effective alliance, one where the two militaries are full partners, he added.
Foreign Minister Kishida told journalists the security environment in the region is becoming “increasingly severe.”
“Toward the coming decade, we had a very in-depth discussion and, based on that, what the Japan-U.S. alliance should do for the peace and stability of the region and as well as defense for Japan,” Kishida said through an interpreter.
Kishida said the United States and Japan will begin an official review process of the joint defense cooperation across 15 areas. “We’ll expand the security and defense cooperation and we’ll accelerate cooperation for the realignment of U.S. force[s] in Japan. We have agreed on these points.”

Read more: http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/st/english/article/2013/10/20131003284005.html#ixzz2p33t5ph1

Yep, aiding Japan’s nationalistic re-militarisation by the descendants of the militaristic nationalists who caused the events which provoked Roosevelt’s quoted speech should turn out alright, in the same way that, for example, US support for the Taliban, Saddam and Saudi Arabia, among others, has turned out brilliantly.

The only honest, morally sound, and eminently qualified national voice on this issue.

Germany urges Japan to deal ‘honestly’ with WWII past
(AFP) – 15 hours ago
Berlin — Germany said Monday it tried to deal “honestly” with its World War II past and urged Japan to do the same after Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s visit to a controversial war shrine.
“I do not wish to comment on questions related to Japanese domestic politics,” Chancellor Angela Merkel’s spokesman Steffen Seibert told reporters when asked about the surprise Yasukuni shrine visit which enraged China and South Korea.
“But in general all nations must honestly live up to their role in the horrible events of the 20th century. Only on the basis of this honest accounting is it possible to build a future with former foes. This is a conviction Germany takes to heart and which in my opinion applies to all states.”
Abe sparked anger in China and South Korea last week by visiting the Tokyo shrine, which honours Japan’s war dead, including several high-level officials executed for war crimes after World War II, and serves as a reminder of Japan’s wartime aggression.
The visit came at a time when Japan’s ties with China have turned particularly sour over a territorial dispute regarding islands in the East China Sea.
Foreign ministry spokesman Martin Schaefer added that Berlin was following the “tensions in the East China Sea with some concern and very closely”.
“In our view it would be helpful if all sides strived for restraint and moderation and jointly sought a diplomatic solution for running conflicts and, in particular, avoided unilateral steps that could heighten the tensions in the region.”
Germany takes pride in what it sees as its own earnest effort to atone for its militaristic past and the murder of six million European Jews in the Holocaust, although critics say it still has more to do.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g9WbdSCQTyvnsn3X-B8N_-UxtE1g?docId=cbfd00ac-04c0-4f0a-925f-4851a9884d8b

Yeah, well, if critics thinks Germany has more to do (which I don’t think it does) they should get off their critical arses and look at the mammoth amount of work the likes of Abe have to do to even begin to approach Germany’s response to its war crimes and crimes against humanity which, unlike Japan’s, have been dealt with by German leaders and governments who and which generally were not the direct political descendants of the leaders and institutions which took Germany to war and which, for example, don’t make a big symbolic issue of visiting a cemetery for the guards of concentration and death camps and the bastards who dreamed up those institutions.

RS posted:“Everybody should have a problem with the Japanese or any other nation honoring their war dead as contributors to a regime of unimaginable terror and horror everywhere they went.”
RS, Seriously!? You are stating that the people who fought for Japan at the time, KNEW that their regime was bad? I think back then, when you fought for Japan that you would be proud, and subsequently despite the aftermath you can not blame shot that fought in the war to think the way they think. Why do you condemn the enemy for thinking the way they did? The truth and fact of the matter is, that Japanese young soldiers died for what they believed in. For the respect of those they were married to, or for their children, we should in deed honor them (not us I mean their families and kin). How dare you say that kin and their people can’t honor their dead? They are not honoring the politics of why they did what they did. They are honoring the fact that they are dead. Pls respect those that dies in the war. You need to be open minded to see both sides. That’s why I read books by John Toland…he sees both sides based on the conditions of the time. You should not assume that the Japanese knew what You know today.Anyways that’s what I have to say today and you have to admit I have a valid point:)

Should the Japanese people be apologizing to the Australians for the next 500 years? When does it stop? I think the whole world knows by now that the culture which contributed to the War, is a lot different today. I also don’t recall reading about a build up of Japanese war ships on the Chinese coast as you imply. I also don’t recall the American bases in Japan being shut down and Japan asking them to leave. Perhaps it is the Americans who are asking the Japanese to build up their war ships to help the Americans with their ongoing war on terror. I hardley HARDLEY think as you imply, that the Japanese are investing in a build up of war ships to attack China. Hum bug I say.

Fair enough.

So you’d be happy with Saudi Arabia erecting a shrine to the people who flew planes into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon and honouring them? Because that is what flows from your view about Japan.

I prefer to take the view that there is conduct which is unacceptable by any reasonable human standards, be it 9/11 or the Burma Railway. My view is supported by international law on war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Yours isn’t.

That’s not what Abe and many of the Japanese leadership think.

Me neither.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2014/s3990138.htm