Japanese war documentary

Hey all, I am looking for a perspective from the Japanese of WWII in the form of video documentaries.
All I see are ones made by the West and Europe . It would be nice to see a view from the other side of the window. Knowing that the East and German would rather forget than to make movies about them, I’m guessing that there would be a few interesting ones out there. Thanks for any, or all of your help.

I bet if you contact the Japanese school systems in Japan they will have many. Kind of one sided documentaries (it was everyone elses fault and they fought a clean war) but they will have them.

Deaf

I’ve seen Youtube clips on a docudrama of sorts on the Yamato. I don’t think it has been released outside Japan, but Youtube has clips that give you a taste of the story being told and the point of view. Any other documentaries will probably not be available outside Japan.

Hi.

Maybe you should ask on the axishistory-forum in the “Japan at war” section. There are several active japanese members which may know more.

Yours

tom! :wink:

I’m betting that a great many pictures and documentories were simply destroyed or lost during the major defeats they suffered in the field.

Many instances of basically being wiped out and their gear and equipment destroyed or abandoned.

A lot of it is on the bottom of the ocean.

I suppose there might be some from the early days, but as the war progressed, much of it never came in from the field.

There is a dearth of latewar German film and photo material.

I read once that their entire archives were put into three trucks to be moved to a safe area, and the one with the late stuff never made it.