JET ENGINE

Sorry to pee on your barbeque tinman but:

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bljetengine.htm

Dr. Hans von Ohain and Sir Frank Whittle are both recognized as being the co-inventors of the jet engine.

No American there, your country may have taken advantage of the work of these 2 great minds but had little to do with the invention of the jet.

Fuchs66, check this:
http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/coanda.htm
and
http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/coanda.htm#Coanda-1910

First and foremost, it is now being recognized as the first air-reactive engine (jet) aircraft, making its first and only flight October, 1910.

The Coanda - 1910 Air Reactive (Jet) Aeroplane
Second International Aeronautical Exhibition
Grand Palais, Champ-Elysees, Paris, France
Circa October 1910

Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Coanda#Inventions_and_discoveries

Pictures of Coanda 1910 airplane - (from the first site posted).

Please do not act childish!! Remember that anytime could appear somebody with other solid arguments

Although Coanda’s “jet” was a significant advancement his engine had little to do with modern jet engines. The engines used in US aircraft were and are based upon the design of Frank Whittle.
Coanda being a Rumanian I still cant see any Americans.

Also off-topic:
Being inventor doesn’t have anything to do with citizenship!! :lol: :lol:

Having a passport (read: belongs to a nation) doesn’t make you smarter. 8) 8)

There is no nations with bigger brains than others (only more pragmatic nations :smiley: - but this is another story).

So Who invented What? It is so important the nation who belongs the inventor? What about Chinese, then?

To the Americans it seems to be a big deal otherwise they wouldn’t make false claims.

The Chinese invented the rocket which does have some bearing on the jet engine too, but I couldn’t name the inventor.

Also off-topic:

So what? It affects you? For sure they will not be rewarded with a medal for these false claims. If the Americans will say: " It’s true. We weren’t the first!!" you’ll live better? I don’t think so. You’ll have only the satisfaction of hearding this. And that’s all.

:shock: :?: :? WTFOMGBBQ What does the rocket have to do with jet engine???

Err at a guess the rocket and jet engine both rely on Newtons laws of motion “action-reaction” expulsion of hot high pressure efflunet from the rear of both causes forward motion.

after that… Who knows?

[quote=“Dani”]
Also off-topic:

So what? It affects you? For sure they will not be rewarded with a medal for these false claims. If the Americans will say: " It’s true. We weren’t the first!!" you’ll live better? I don’t think so. You’ll have only the satisfaction of hearding this. And that’s all.[/quote]

I suppose Fuchs66 is just trying to ensure that the truth is written, in accordance with FW-190 Pilot’s guidelines.

One cannot be selective about which truths one will support and which may be changed.
Just look at the problems Japan has caused with changing their history books, not just recently but several times.

So perhaps Fuchs 66’s ‘satisfaction’ should be a feeling shared by all.

[quote=“Cuts”]

[quote=Dani]Also off-topic:

So what? It affects you? For sure they will not be rewarded with a medal for these false claims. If the Americans will say: " It’s true. We weren’t the first!!" you’ll live better? I don’t think so. You’ll have only the satisfaction of hearding this. And that’s all.[/quote]

I suppose Fuchs66 is just trying to ensure that the truth is written, in accordance with FW-190 Pilot’s guidelines.

One cannot be selective about which truths one will support and which may be changed.
Just look at the problems Japan has caused with changing their history books, not just recently but several times.

So perhaps Fuchs 66’s ‘satisfaction’ should be a feeling shared by all.[/quote]
i am sorry, but what does that has to do with me? :?
thanks for explaining

All inventions are products of a process or other.somebody would eventually invent" invention X".“genius inventor invented x”;it’s easy to say that but if we look into history we will see Otto Lilienthal before Wright Brothers,Joseph Henry before Samuel Morse etc.i guess this discussion is a pointless one.

for more info on this particular subject;
Guns,Germs and Steel-The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond.

Huh… about who invented what russians sayd - “Russia - native land of elephants”. For each reason we usually have some pre-inventors.
With steam-engine, with airplane, with all around… this story about Marcony and Popov, two iventors of radio… it make me sic, “who was first, who’s dick larger and longer” and etc… Most matter i tought - Who first make it a suitable for people ?
You can invent all, sitting in sofa and dreaming about… but a hell betwin invention and mass producing.
Who care today who invent car engine, Benz or that poor guy from USA ? When i went in car-dealer showroom i starting tought that japans invent it.
When i went in weapon-store i starting tought that chinesishe invent - AK 47.
When i look at helicopters - i sure, americans invented it, no doubts. As well as Boeing 747 and idea of transathlantic flyeghts… i know about Comet, yes, but no Comets today…
When i looks inside next computer, assembled by mine employers - i sure, chinesishe invented all…
Who care who was first ? Who care who experimented a lot and hawe ideas how it does work ?
Who make it usable - that does matter. Any country including Somalia, i gues (i’ll у not very wonder it they hawe own legend about somalian inventors, who invented all and more sooner than other, especially sooner than americans, but shit happens and no one good examples was made) hawe legends about great native inventors.
Soviets, i hawe heard, got own nuke-bomb programm, but shit happens and 4 years after Hiroshima USSR got own nuke but couple of Rosenbergs got they’s 2 000 volts (god blees miracles of electricity) finally. :lol:

You pee into the wind it seems. Nobody said that anyone in the US invented the jet engine. As I stated, and as Dani has shown you, the jet engine was developed independantly in the US, Britain, and Germany. Did you not read my post before you jumped onto the Net looking for a way to put down what I had said? Think more, click less. However, regardless of what anyone says, the jet engine was invented by Romanian inventor Henri Marie Coanda in 1910, as you have seen. The engine turned a gas combustion turbine at 4,000 rpm. All that came after that was development of the invention.

I have bolded the parts that should help you to aim your pee better:

“Whittle’s ideas were not subject to the Official Secrets Act.”

That means the British government did not prevent the sharing of Whittle’s development with others, including the US. With me so far? Let’s continue…

“Details of Whittle’s inventions were made available both in Britain and America.”

That means the US got his ideas and began to investigate the technology. Still with me?

In June 1942, Whittle was flown to Boston to help General Electric to overcome problems. They built the engine under licence in America with the astonishing result that Bell Aircraft’s experimental Airacomet flew in the autumn of 1942, beating the Meteor into the skies by five months."

That means the US had a flying jet airplane in 1942. It also means that a American companys Bell Aircraft and General Electric, were developing the jet engine in the US independantly of the Germans and British, and made several innovations and advancements to it’s design. The jet engine was under develpoment in the US by Bell Aircraft, General Electric, and Pratt and Whitney (corporations) where it achieved a higher level of development in the US than it had in Germany by the end of WWII.Still with me?

http://www-g.eng.cam.ac.uk/125/achievements/whittle/telgraph.htm

Who said the jet engine was invented in the US? Nobody. What I said was:
“The jet airplane was developed by the United States, Britain and Germany independantly and at the same time. Germany simply tried using them in war first.”

…and this is correct. Now go change your clothes.

It had everything to do with it. Reactive statements like yours can usually reveal their own answers if you simply remove words from the sentence.

Thus, from:

"Although Coanda’s “jet” was a significant advancement his engine had little to do with modern jet engines. "

…we get:

“… Coanda’s jet… modern jet engines.”

BOOM! You knew the answer already.

And yet you seem to be trying to put down any American involvement with the development of the jet engine, even though Germany’s work was, like the US and Britian’s, also based on the early work of Coanda.

“Coanda being a Rumanian I still cant see any Americans.”

Nobody said the US invented the jet engine, so where you got that I can only guess. I know this much: the German’s sure as heck didn’t invent it, contrary to what a lot of people think. BTW, the US had a composite jet/piston powered plane in late 1942, just a few months after the German’s 1st jet fighter prototype. So no, the US did not get their jet engine development technology from the Germans, they got it from the British and refined it, also contrary to what a lot of people think. At that time, Germany was just begining to make a workable jet fighter (Me262), and the US had not captured any of their jet planes and did not do so until later in the war. By 1944, the US had the The XFR-1, a fully functioning jet-only fighter, which first first flew on June 25, 1944 - within weeks or a couple of months of the time the Germans first used a jet plane in combat.

What false claims are you talking about? Again, who said the US invented the jet engine? NOBODY. Are you so anti-American as all that? Holy guano Batman!

You have not read your link very well as in the second paragraph it states,

Whittle ensured that Britain was the first to enter the jet age when, on May 15 1941, the jet-propelled Gloster-Whittle E 28/39 flew successfully from Cranwell.

And later it has,

When the United States entered World War II, his engine was sent to the United States to be reproduced and that engine became the basis for American work on the turbojet engine.

And in another section it has,

The Americans wasted no time in tackling this jet project, which NACA (National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics) judged of vital national importance. In August 1941 (3 months after the flight of the Gloster E28/59) General Electric received a contract to build 15 Whittle engines, designated I-A. Bell Aircraft of Buffalo was selected to build three aircraft; the XP-59A Airacomet made its maiden flight (October 1942) some six months before the Meteor became airborne. It achieved a top speed of 380 m.p.h. (Reference 6)

You are confusing the Gloster E28 with the Meteor the only operational jet of the allies.

The US could afford to spend the time and recourses on this development, Britain had other problems and priorities. As an aside the US was completely surprised by the advances the UK had made in Radar and got a free boost. This should have been a two-way exchange but the Brit scientist found that the US had nothing to offer.

Test pilot Michael Daunt flew the prototype on 5th March 1943 from Cranwell. There were several bugs to be eliminated before the Meteor became the successful aircraft that it was.

When in service (August 1944), the RAF Meteor squadrons were mostly used to counter the threat from the 7,000 V1 flying bombs aimed at this country. The Meteors (achieving a top speed of 480 m.p.h.) were fast enough to fly alongside the V1s and to ‘knock’ them out of the sky by using the Meteor’s wing tip to flip them on their backs.

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~bcb/whittle/whitt-r.htm

It was not until after the war when the US had access to the German research that they started to make headway. One of the major developments in breaking the sound barrier was discovered in the UK in the 30s. Try and work out what it was.

Back to thread.

The US did not need any German kit, the M1 was an excellent rifle, the BAR fitted the US tactics and it remained until the developed a poor copy of the MG42. The US tanks at that time would easily match the T34/85s they met and the Cent would chew them up an spit them out. They had so much kit after the war they needed nothing else. And why retrain your army for limited or no gain.

[quote=“FW-190_Pilot”]

[quote=Cuts][quote=Dani]Also off-topic:

So perhaps Fuchs 66’s ‘satisfaction’ should be a feeling shared by all.[/quote]

i am sorry, but what does that has to do with me? :?
thanks for explaining[/quote]

http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=125

Now that comment is funny !

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude, I am confusing nothing. However, that information is slightly off, since it states that the british flew the 1st jet plane in 1941, when it was actually 1910. lol

Once more, nobody said the US invented the jet engine or had the 1st flying jet airplane. Please try to comprehend what you read in this thread before starting a debate based of what you percieve to be false information. WTF is your point? If you are going to counter someone’s post as being false, at least make sure it is before you do.

We have already established that a Romanian invented the jet engine in 1910 and the first jet powered plane flew at that time, and that the US did not use German prototypes to help them design thier own. Again, nobody said the US invented the jet or had the 1st jet plane.

Dude, WTF does any of that have to do with anything I posted? NOTHING. As for saying the US had nothing to offer… you are that desperate for a way to hack at the US eh? What are you sore about? However, since you like such nonsence, I suppose there are innumerable things the US has invented could have been a “two-way exchange” except Britain had nothing to offer. LOL

So? Did we not already establish who invented the jet engine, who flew one first, and such. I think you are confused. You must think that because I stated that the US had a flying jet plane prototype in 1942 that I am saying that they were the 1st to fly a jet plane. I never said that. Again, the 1st jet plane prototype flew many years before WWII.

That’s nice. But WTF does that have to do with anything? We have already established that a Romanian invented the jet engine, that the US did not develop their jet engines by using German examples, etc. What are you carrying on about? How is this related? All that argumentative stuff from you because I posted something that showed that the US aircraft companies made strides in the development of the jet engine? For that you pull out your guns on me? I only quoted an article. Cool out.

So what? However, you make my point exaclty, when i said that the US developed the jet engine and jet fighter independantly of German technology. As i said, the US, Britain, and germany all three developed the jet independantly of each other. So what are you carrying on about? Did I not already post:

“In June 1942, Whittle was flown to Boston to help General Electric to overcome problems. They built the engine under licence in America with the astonishing result that Bell Aircraft’s experimental Airacomet flew in the autumn of 1942, beating the Meteor into the skies by five months.”

Cool out man. You’re going off on something for nothing.

I agree with the others. In Korea, the US used Sherman and Patton tanks (American), and the planes used were mostly P-51 Mustangs and Corsairs, but jets used in low numbers (all American).

They were collected and destroyed by the Americans. Germany was dissarmed. Those weapons which remain are few, and they are mostly in museums or owned by private individuals.

Not sure what you mean by concepts, but if you mean warfare tactics, you would be incorrect. Korea was a very different kind of battlefield and the Noth Koreans proved to be a more deadly, better armed, and more tenatious enemy than the Germans were in WWII. If you meant jet engine planes…

The jet airplane was developed by the United States, Britain and Germany independantly and at the same time. Germany simply tried using them in war first. The US had a jet airplane by 1942, and a war servicable jet fighter by 1944, but they were not built in enough numbers in time to use them for the expected invasion of Japan.

Early US jet fighters:

Mid to late 1940’s:

Mid 1950’s:

http://f-86.tripod.com/fj1.html[/quote]

The latter a/c is a T-2 Buckeye you clueless Walt.