Knocked out Tiger I tank at Belpasso, Sicily - German Armored Forces & Vehicles | Gallery

Knocked out Tiger I tank at Belpasso, Sicily

Knocked out Mk VI Tiger tank at Belpasso, Sicily, 1943. Photograph from an album compiled by Major W H J Sale, MC, 3/4 County of London Yeomanry (Sharpshooters), World War Two, Italy.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ww2incolor.com/gallery/german-armored-forces-vehicles/38770/knocked-out-tiger-i-tank-at-belpasso-sicily

Can the 88mm gun be fired without the muzzle Brake? Is It possilble the tank crew took the muzzle if they had time being a valuable part if damage in battle the gun muzzle like the Tiger II road tracks due to their extreme wieght

The rubber on the road wheels is intact on the visible side, so no big fire there. (other side is anyone’s guess… The trouble with B/W photos is that many different colors may have the same gray scale value. This will make them appear to be the same “color” and difficult to differentiate between rust, and mud, or soot, and dark gray. The darker shades might well be its paint, and the lighter gray be dirt, and mud. It does look to be in good shape though, it kind of looks like its being packed up for trip to Aberdeen or some such place. Odd that the muzzle brake is missing, the threaded area still looks a bit shiny .

You see this kind of damage quiet often(the turret displaced like this) but what is the most likely cause of such a flip-over.A turret weighs a lot so a lot of force would be needed.Any tankexpert in here with a explanation?Thx :wink: