Land Mass Empire

in terms of Land Mass which Ancient-Classical Age Empires impresses u the most, take into account, maintaning it, military power etc etc

1. Mongol Empire

1. Roman Empire

1. Macedonian Empire

1. Han Empire

1. Persian Empire

1. Ottoman Empire

i believe the mongol empire once reached rome
but they quickly eliminated from history is because
1)Their racist against other races, they think the mongols are the most superiors, then europeans, then Tribes from Chinese border and the Chinese from the north side, then the Chinese from the south side
2)Use heavy penalty against its citizens, give heavy taxes, great racist, tons of corruption
3)One of the first kind knows Mogolia do not have the economic capability like China, so he wish the center of the new empire to be shift to China, but most of his cabinet members would not coroporate because they think the mogolian style of life is way superior

ive never heard of of the Mongol empire reaching as far as Rome???

and why would they invade all the way up to rome without invading Greece???

can you show me some sources or tell me why u believe they reached Rome

sorry, i dont have source
i get that from my old school textbook

??? Its doesnt show that in the pic he posted!

yeah it shows the furthest they went was Hungary, and it wouldnt make sense to invade Rome without Greece first

The furthest penetration by the Mongols was the Hungarian plain.

The mongol Empire lasted longer than the Macedonian one, but a lot shorter than the Roman one.

Then again the macedonian Empire wasnt really an Empire, it broke up almost immediately after Sandy the Great died, it was more of a whirlwind conqest really.

Rome however, what have the Romans ever given us!

(Python alert!)

I would say that an Empire should really be relatively stable for at least two generations/changes of ruler to be considered because otherwise it’s just a personal conquering spree. For that reason I think Alexanders empire is out as it lasted less than twenty years, the same could be said for the Mongols as they didn’t really manage to hold all that area at the same time.
Therefore I’d say it was between the Romans who held the indicated borders for several centuries and the Persians who covered most of their area for at least 100years, with the Ottomans coming in at a distinct third place.
It also occurs to me that the Russians should probably be included in the list as both the Russian empire and the USSR managed to hold an enormous area.

well if we have to say atleast rulers, then i agree with you Bladenburg

dont include the USSR as i said empires form the ancient times and the classical times

(Ottoman started conquering during the classical time, thats why i included them)

I would agree, although the Mongols did last about 200 years:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2532/

yeah it shows the furthest they went was Hungary, and it wouldnt make sense to invade Rome without Greece first

They defeated Polish-German and Hungarian forces at the battle of Legnica then the battle of Mohi.i think it can be said that only thing that saved whole Europe from the Mongol onslaught was the death of Ögedei.
The Polish/German/Hungarian alliance was the last organized fighting force left in Europe.Bela IV tried to gain support of other kingdoms but after the crusades they were so bad in shape they couldn’t send any troops(i don’t know about the inviduals-knights-).After the death of Ögedei,Mongols just returned to homeland for the election of the next khan.

so there werent any Greeks or Romans armies that were fit for fighting against the Mongol invasion of Europe??? :roll:

Well there certainly weren’t any Roman armies as such they ahving been dust for half a millenium or so. However a large proportion of the Germanic troops would have been from the Holy Roman Empire, although as is often observed this was not Holy nor Roman nor an Empire. :lol:

The Byzantines were already almost fully engaged in Asia Minor although I believe they did have some troops spare to protect their northern flank.

I often wonder how far they would have been able to advance into western and Southern Europe. It was a lot less friendly to their kind of fighting than the open steppe or plains that their cavalry was designed for. The Alps would have been a particularly difficult barrier for them to fight through and there was much more forest than there is now that would have been difficult for them to operate in. Of course any sort of defence would have relied on a greater amount of Franco/Anglo/German/Italian co-operation than was normal.

i believe the Mongol empire could have gone as far as even bringing down the great walls of Constantinople, even before the Ottomans

provided they had more time that is, and if it didnt take such a long distance for them to bring reinforcements from Mongolia

i dont know if the mongols empire really last that long, but at least for the china part, the empire last 85 years when their capital was conquered by dynasty Ming

I often wonder how far they would have been able to advance into western and Southern Europe.

Ireland maybe?Actually that’s not the point.It’s clear that they couldn’t last too long;one way or other.

maybe their father of the general is dead, and the son has to go back to mongols to prevent any military coup