Latin American combat Aircrafts

AS YOU KNOW, THERE AREN’T GREAT AND WELL-EQUIPED ARMED FORCES. ALL THE SUB CONTINENT IS A PACEFULL PLACE. BUT WE CAN SEE LOVELY BIRDS HERE…

Lockheed Martin F-16C Fighting Falcon (Chile)

Northrop F-5E Tiger III+ (Chile)

Lockheed Martin F-16A Fighting Falcon (Venezuela)

Dassault Mirage 50 (Venezuela)

Mikoyan Gurevic MiG-29 Fulcrum (Perú)

Dassault Mirage 2000P (Perú)

Mc Donnell Douglas A-4AR Fighting Hawk (Argentina)

Dassault Super Etendard (Argentina)

Is the hawk a rip off of BAe or did we sell it to you?
I want aware we sold armed derivatives

EDIT iirc re: hawks - some went to the middle east, Jordan?

Not the same Hawk mate - the Argentinians use the American A-4 Skyhawk, not the BAe Hawk, which has been sold to many many countries, including Jordan (IIRC)

but MaccyD’s rip off our aircraft what about their harrier? is it a production under license, or what?

The original Harrier was licence produced by McDonnell Douglas.

The Harrier II, an altogether more capable beast, was developed primarily by McDD in co-operation with BAE. The Pegasus remains Rolls Royce through and through, however.

The McD Harrier is mainly ground support.

The RAF/FAA Harriers still retain a credible Air to Air capability. And are better for operating on non-prepared air sites.

Im not sure if there are any FAA Harriers left, they are phasing them out now.

<anorak>
Nope, it’s a completely different design dating back to the early 1950s (first prototype flew in 1954). The BAe Hawk is something like 20 years newer.
</anorak>

The RAF Harrier is the McDD/BAE Harrier II. And doesn’t retain any more credible an Air-to-Air capability as Nimrod (which, like the RAF’s Harrier, can hang AIM-9 Sidewinders) since it lacks radar and the AMRAAM capability of the FAA’s Sea Harrier F/A.2 - which by the way is still an upgraded BAe Harrier rather than the McDD/BAE Harrier II.

I’m also not sure why the RAF’s Harrier GR7 and 9 would be any better than the USMC’s Harrier’s for operating from non-prepared air sites. Although I’d be interested to learn!

As BDL says, the Argentine Fighting Hawks are derivative of the A-4M Skyhawk II, but with an extensive modernized new systems.

About the british Harriers, I have the knowledge that only the Fleet Air Arm Sea Harriers have the capability of launching the AIM-120 missile, but someone told me that the Royal Navy is removing on service to these aircraft, and the Royal Navy won’t have an on-board combat aircraft until the F-35 start… is this real?

In the interests of me not having to go to the South Atlantic on an operational tour, I think we should keep schtum!

Well Crab, it is public domain, and in the interests of keeping my own private sector work backlog healthy and profitable, it’s tempting to tell him! :stuck_out_tongue:

The RAF Harrier is the McDD/BAE Harrier II. And doesn’t retain any more credible an Air-to-Air capability as Nimrod (which, like the RAF’s Harrier, can hang AIM-9 Sidewinders) since it lacks radar and the AMRAAM capability of the FAA’s Sea Harrier F/A.2 - which by the way is still an upgraded BAe Harrier rather than the McDD/BAE Harrier II.

I’m also not sure why the RAF’s Harrier GR7 and 9 would be any better than the USMC’s Harrier’s for operating from non-prepared air sites. Although I’d be interested to learn![/quote]

They arent, they are basically the same thing. No air attack radar etc.

In the interests of me not having to go to the South Atlantic on an operational tour, I think we should keep schtum![/quote]

Having done my falklands tour, its not the Sea harrier that you would have to worry about.

More latin-american aircrafts

Different classes of Mirage in Argentina.
The leader is a two-seat Mirage IIID. The Wingman number two, on the right of the leader, is an IAI Mirage V “Finger” (based on the Dagger) The Wingman number three, on the left of the leader, is a Dassault Mirage IIIE. The last Mirage is a Dassault Mirage V “Mara”

Atack/Trainer AT-63 Pampa, Made in Argentina.

Atack AMX, Made in Brazil, Brazilian Air Force

Mirage IIIBR Brazilian Air Force

Mirage F1, Equator Air Force

Sepecat Jaguar, Equator Air Force

IAI Kfir, Colombian Air Force

I’m also not sure why the RAF’s Harrier GR7 and 9 would be any better than the USMC’s Harrier’s for operating from non-prepared air sites. Although I’d be interested to learn![/quote]

They arent, they are basically the same thing. No air attack radar etc.[/quote]

Well I did wonder since while I know they are to all intents and purposes the same airframe, I know the Yanks have been messing around making their Harrier II’s into “Harrier II Plus” - which includes adding the same radar as that on the F/A-18 Hornet… and also allows AMRAAM to be used.

Maybe something for the MoD to consider if the new carriers and/or JSF get ditched?

They arent, they are basically the same thing. No air attack radar etc.[/quote]

Well I did wonder since while I know they are to all intents and purposes the same airframe, I know the Yanks have been messing around making their Harrier II’s into “Harrier II Plus” - which includes adding the same radar as that on the F/A-18 Hornet… and also allows AMRAAM to be used.

Maybe something for the MoD to consider if the new carriers and/or JSF get ditched?[/quote]

Not in pipeline as far as I know, too many pesos etc…

Ah well, what do we care if even the Spanish Navy makes the Royal Navy look underequipped? Wait a minute…

I don’t think so.

Only talking about the retirement of the Sea Harriers.