Lee Enfield SMLE No.4 Mk.II and others.

Nice video of the main british infantry gun in the WW2, the recoil seems to be mild.

http://media.putfile.com/SMLE-No4-Mk1

We still had them when I was in the Army Cadets back in the early 70’s. To a 13 year old the recoil was like a kick from a mule!

Back then, even so long after the war, all our issued kit was ex-WW2, including battledress and 37 pattern webbing.

Cool video, thanks for uploading and posting! I would love to fire a rifle other than an air one, just to get a good idea of the recoil.

Thanks for the video clip Panzerknacker.

I have always enjoyed shooting my Lee-Enfield No 1 Mk III and No 4 Mk 1*. They are fun to shoot.

I have always enjoyed shooting my Lee-Enfield No 1 Mk III and No 4 Mk 1

Lucky guy, I always like the Lee-Enfield although the Mauser M-1898 action is more strong.

We still had them when I was in the Army Cadets back in the early 70’s. To a 13 year old the recoil was like a kick from a mule

That much…? , you better dont try a 12 o 16 gauge shotgun.

The action of the Mauser is stronger than the Enfield, however, they both have about the same amount of recoil. The action on the Enfield is infinitely more enjoyable than that of the Mauser, by far.

A Mauser kicks more than a 12 gauge. Also, most shotguns have a rubber recoil pad. Most Mausers and Enfields (with the exception of the No.5) have metal butts.

Yes the kick in the Mauser is healty even manageable, looking at the video again it seems more powerful than the Lee-Enfield, at list in the argentine M1909 variant.

The action on the Enfield is infinitely more enjoyable than that of the Mauser, by far.

You mean more light to handle…?

A Mauser kicks more than a 12 gauge. Also, most shotguns have a rubber recoil pad.

Teorically, I have a single shot, 28 inches full choke barrel 16 gauge shotgun for hunting duck…I asure you that it kick like a mule.

I have not fired a Mauser before, but I used to own a Springfield 1903A3. The Springfield definitely had more felt recoil than either of my Lee-Enfields. The Lee-Enfields have a shorter bolt travel since the lugs lock towards the rear rather than at the front of the bolt like the Mauser and Springfield. The bolt handle is also positioned farther back in relation to the trigger than on the Mauser and Springfield actions. In addition, the Lee-Enfields have a turned down bolt handle - many of the earlier Mauser bolt handles were straight making them more awkward to cock. The action Lee-Enfield is quicker and thus have a faster rate of fire.

Of the Lee-Enfields, I like the feel of the earlier No 1 Mk III. It seems to have better balance and the action seems to be smoother. Although the barrel on the No 4 Mk I is heavier and stiffer. My No 4 Mk I seems to be more slightly accurate than my No 1 Mk III, but the rifle itself feels more “club-like”.

I have an Ithaca 12 gauge slide-action riot gun and it kicks far more than the Springfield did. Like getting slugged in the shoulder really hard.

Yes the early Mausers including the M1909 had a straight bolt handle, pretty akward, off course the K-98 had not this disavantage.

The best caracteristic of the SMLE in my opinion…?..the 10 round magazine.

I have an Ithaca 12 gauge slide-action riot gun and it kicks far more than the Springfield did. Like getting slugged in the shoulder really hard.

He,he, I am more than sure about that, and you dont even try one of the new ultralighweight over and under shotgun firing a 12/ 3 inch full hunting load. :wink:

When I first bought my Mauser, it had a converted straight bolt (it was bent, but kinda weird). I bought a replacement bolt (the bolt on the Vz.24 is supposed to be straight) and I found the straight bolt on the Mauser to be much more enjoyable than the curved bolt. But I guess it’s just personal tastes.

What I meant by being “infinitely more enjoyable” was that working the bolt is almost effortless.

And as for the recoil on the 12 gauge vs. the Mauser, I might have just grown accustom to them, and I can’t tell the difference anymore.

Well probably you are right in the handling thing, I think that is needed more up force to unlock the bolt in the german rifles.

A video of the K-98K to compare, by the way there is no need to manually extract the clip in the mauser like this guy do, this is ejected automatically.

http://media.putfile.com/k98Movie

From: World War I Trench Warfare (1) 1914-16, Dr. Stephen Bull, Osprey, ISBN 1 84176 197 4, 2002, p 9:

British Regulars were arguably the best all rounders, professional soldiers who were taught ‘volume’ fire, rapid fire, snap shooting and fire from cover as well as simple accuracy. Their efficiency was aided by the .303in Short Magazine Lee Enfield, a weapon developed as a universal arm for infantry and cavalry in the wake of the Boer War. Its useful features included a handy length, a bolt which could be manipulated without taking the gun away from the aiming eye, and a ten-round magazine which could be swiftly loaded from five-round chargers from the top. Fifteen rounds a minute was a perfectly feasible rate of fire; speed trials at Hythe actually reached 28 rounds under ideal conditions.

From: Death From Afar: Sniping During the Great War, Martin Pegler, Guns & Ammo: Surplus Firearms, 2005, pp 51-52:

In terms of performance, the Mauser was believed to be marginally better in terms of long-range shooting ability, partly due to its longer barrel and superior scope mounting system. About 600 yards was believed to be the maximum range to ensure a body hit with the Mauser and 500 yards with the Enfield, although the Enfield’s bolt was thought to be faster and smoother to operate.

DerMann, if you are using a semi-automatic 12 gauge, the recoil would be milder than say a double-barrel or slide-action (pump).

Panzerknacker, you might find the following article interesting from Guns & Ammo: Surplus Firearms, 2005, pp 38-42:

Ouch - I can see the bruises already. :smiley:

Panzerknacker, you might find the following article interesting from Guns & Ammo: Surplus Firearms, 2005, pp

I know that many would prefer to see pamela Anderson in underwear…but the Mauser images that George had post make the same phisical effect on me. :mrgreen:

Many thanks G.E

Sadly many of these fine rifles was butchered to make sporterized Hunting Weapons, I ve see one of these converted for a caliber large as the .458 Win Magnum, the bolt s face diameter is the limit because the action is strong as hell, seems that nobody enjoy target shooting with a military jewelry.

Enfield jungle carbine video, check the muzzle blast.

http://media.putfile.com/Carabina-de-jungla

George that’s a great article! Thanks for posting!

That rifle seems to have some power PanzerKnacker! :shock:

You’re welcome SS Tiger :slight_smile:

Later, when I have more time I will dig into my old issues of Guns&Ammo and post more on the Enfield and Mauser rifles. (Right now I am pretty tied up for time).

Thank’s, I’d really appreciate that! :wink:

That rifle seems to have some power PanzerKnacker

And a lot of noise too, look at the chav next to the shooter criying for his ears hehehe.

By the way, the 1909 had two more Variants, the Engineesr carbine wich resembled very much to a K-98k with his twisted bolt and 24 inches barrel and the Cavalry carbine with 24,5 inch barrel and the stock to the muzzle. This last one remember me the SMLE used in the WW1.

Video of the WW1 Enfield, this time used by a left handed shooter.

http://www.worldwar.it/armi/video/Enfield_n1_mk3.wmv

Interesting video, the firer is not very competent with the action. It should be a lot smoother than that. He is jerking the bolt and making the loading look very hard.