Let it all hang out

Clothes dryers being a long way off being invented in the 1770s, America’s founding fathers never thought that such a basic thing as hanging out laundry should be enshrined as a constitutional right. Maybe they should have.

Seems a bit silly to be allowed to have a right to bear arms but not to bare laundry. :smiley:

Getting pegged for letting it all hang out
Ian Munro in Southington, Connecticut
May 10, 2008

THIS New England morning has unfolded into an idyll of spring sunshine and soft breezes. It is, quite simply, one perfect day - ideal for drying laundry and, as it happens, for civil disobedience.

That is how it adds up in Sharon Vocke’s backyard, where clotheslines are banned, as they are in much of the United States.

It is a prohibition she routinely breaches when she hangs her laundry on her line, homemade of course, since there is little joy for Hills hoist retailers here.

Mrs Vocke’s line is rigged with a pulley system and slung from her porch to the garage in this affluent pocket of sweeping, unfenced gardens and sprawling homes.

Electric clothes dryers represent about 6 per cent of domestic power consumption, according to official estimates, and while the world searches for responses to global warming, Mrs Vocke points to her backyard, wind and solar power.

“It takes me about six minutes to violate my neighbourhood covenant and it’s worth every second to have my clothes smell nice and to know I am not harming the air we breathe,” the 46-year-old said recently in a submission to Connecticut’s General Assembly Energy and Technology Committee.

The committee was considering a law giving homeowners the right to use clotheslines despite neighbourhood fears that displays of underwear would undermine property values. But as with similar proposals in Vermont and New Hampshire, the reformers failed and bans stay in place.

In Vermont, Richard McCormack sponsored an unsuccessful “Right to Dry” law.

“I did not get a definitive ‘right to dry’ in the state of Vermont,” said the state senator. “What I did get was an energy conservation bill that includes the statement that the Government recognises that voluntary energy conservation is a good thing and that it recognises there are impediments to it.” But an explicit statement, that citizens had a right to use clotheslines, was struck out.

Last September, the town of Poughkeepsie in New York State passed a “laundry law” imposing $US100 ($106) fines on anyone caught drying on front porches.

“I wonder if this is all a commentary on our consumer-oriented American traits,” Mrs Vocke said. “I don’t know how common this is - just the fact it was ever written into our [neighbourhood rules] really bothers me.”

Line-drying advocates will persist. Alexander Lee, a New Hampshire lawyer who created the lobby group Project Laundry List in 1995, said people were anxious to reduce energy consumption and, while solar panels were expensive, anyone could afford a clothesline.

Mr Lee said the estimated 6 per cent of domestic power consumed by electric dryers did not account for commercial laundromats or 17 million homes with gas-powered dryers.

Bans on clotheslines are relatively recent, and seem to be based on the opinion they are unsightly and a mark of poverty.

“In the last 30 years, it’s increased exponentially,” Mr Lee said. “Really, it’s since World War II, since people started moving into homeowners associations which introduced lots of prohibitions.”

Martin Mador, a lobbyist and author of Connecticut’s “Right to Dry Bill”, will try again next year.

In rejecting the Vermont bill, Senator McCormack’s colleagues said clotheslines were too trivial to be bothered with, to which he responds that is why communities should not be banning them.

“It’s very hard getting Americans to get with the idea of saving energy,” Senator McCormack said. “I so love my country. But I look at [it] from time to time and say to myself, ‘This place is insane’.”
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/getting-pegged-for-letting-it-all-hang-out/2008/05/09/1210131264435.html

"Seems a bit silly to be allowed to have a right to bear arms but not to bare laundry. "

Ha-Haaaaaaa! well put! It was probably a point of the Revolutionary War, no hanging Laundry, no chance of it being mistaken for a white flag. “Gee Little billy, your great, great, great Grandfather lost us the war by hangin’ out his drawers,” :slight_smile:

How about a pirate flag??? LOL

Council bans boy, 6, from flying Jolly Roger at pirate party - because it is ‘unneighbourly’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-460065/Council-bans-boy-6-flying-Jolly-Roger-pirate-party--unneighbourly.html

One might start to wonder what thing is allowed in Britain. :roll:

Its just a poor boy who wants a pirate theme party, I mean come on.

This is what happens when people expect the government to fix everything for them, Im for less government in my life. Who would ever think this could happen. :frowning:

Connecticut’s in America old chap. The hint’s in the New in New England.

Connecticut’s in America old chap. The hint’s in the New in New England.

Pfff , that is an entry that you should spare, I know that already, I just was wondering about the cute little kid that his goverment ( I dont know if goverment is right word in this case) does not allowed to have a pirate flag just for fun, ( I said cute because he remembers me when little kid) and that is really ironic happening in Britain when there is a strong “pirate culture”.

Of course being myself Argentine ( lucky me) this could be taken by a offense…nothing far from my intention, but let anybody have a look to some of the “sirs” knighted by british ruling Royalty in the past centurys…:rolleyes:

And what about those funny black flags that the british submarines raised after a sucessful sortie ? The last time was in 1982 I think…I mean it was not too long ago.

And the poor little kid still cant play with it? Hipocresy to say the list.

This is what happens when people expect the government to fix everything for them, Im for less government in my life. Who would ever think this could happen.

Unfortunately my dear Mike it seems that all can happen in our western maniac politically correct minory workshiping, majority outraging and electronically mesmerized society.

Under current laws, any flag flying outside a residential property has to have planning permission unless it is a national flag.

Seeing that he didn’t seek planning permission and somebody did complain to the Council, they had no option but to uphold the law.

Indeed. The law is basically intended to stop people using enormous flags as advertising, but because it’s rather widely drafted that makes flying the jolly roger illegal, unfortunately.
Oh, and I’m pretty sure that RN submarines have flown it more recently than 1982 - I halfway remember them flying it after carrying out cruise missile strikes against Kosovo and Iraq.

I think the most ridiculous part of the pirate flag exercise is a parent who is willing to pay a 75 quid fee and make a planning application for a six year old’s birthday party. FFS!

Thanks to his parents, that kid is on an early track to grow up to be the sulky spoilt little bastard he looks like in the photo. He’d make better use of his cutlass by shoving it up his dad’s arse and opening up a channel to reality.

Dad should spend the 75 quid on a couple of hours of saveloys and sausage rolls and fairy bread and a trifle and cake and lolly bags and pin the tail on the donkey like any six year old should get, and stop being a jerk jerking the jerks in local government around when they have more important jerking around to do to people who don’t deserve it.

What I don’t understand is why the flag needed to be flown for such a length of time ? Most people would just fly it for the day of the party.

Pirate flag at little boys birthday party Bad…this guy displaying The fruit of his sexual energy at the Center for Recent Drawing in Highbury, North London Good.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sperm-Art-He-Paints-Using-His-Semen-76190.shtml

edited to add: SPEAKING OF HANGING IT OUT… ROFLMFAO…:wink:

:smiley:

I assume they’re miniatures. :smiley:

In time it might become more popular, for the time being it’s a seminal art form. :smiley:

Looks like an art form that’s begging for someone to do a spoof of it. :smiley:

(In Aussie slang, spoof = semen.)

Maybe the mods should make your post a sticky? :wink: