Liberation of Camp O'Donnell Cabanatuan 6th Rangers

This September, I was asked to help return the dog tag of a man named John D. Cooper. When I was finally able to locate his family, they told me that he had been a part of the raid on the Cabanatuan POW Camp on Luzon, Philippines on January 30, 1945. Because the Japanese had a “kill all” policy if they lost the war, it was urgent that they liberate the 511 POW’s from the Bataan Death March who were being held in the POW camp. ( correction made to name of POW camp thanks to correction by another forum member. I was formerly referring to the camp as O’Donnell. That was incorrect)

John D. Cooper was a Technicion 5th Grade in the 6th Ranger Battalion, Company B. Although most of Company B was not involved in the raid, Henry Mucci, the commander of the 6th Rangers, was inundated with volunteers. Based on the family’s recollection of what John told them, John was one of the volunteers who was allowed to go on the raid, along with 126 other 6th Rangers. They worked alongside the Alamo Scouts and the Filipino Guerillas to liberate the POW’s. The Army Air Corps assisted by flying low over the camp to provide a distraction. Below are some pictures of the 6th Ranger Battalion, Company B. John Dale Cooper is in the 3rd row up, 3rd from the left, with lighter hair that is almost parted in the middle. He’s above the dark haired man with the mustache.

I’ll try to post some more information in another post. In the meantime, here are some pictures I copied from this web site, which will tell you more about the raid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_at_Cabanatuan

Very nice work Francesca :slight_smile:

Glad to see you posting again.

All the best,

George

Thanks, George. Hope you have been doing well and prospering! I’ve been busy with the WWII dog tag work, so I haven’t had much time to post. But this tag had such an amazing story behind it that I wanted to share it here, since I knew everyone on the forum would appreciate the story.

I haven’t seen the movie yet, “The Great Raid” or something?

Yes, “The Great Raid” was the movie made about the liberation of Camp O’Donnell. There is also a book you can get on Amazon called “Ghost Soldiers”. My friend just read it and he said it was worth reading. I haven’t gotten a copy yet, but I plan to.

Camp O’Donnell is in Capas, Tarlac. It is a different POW camp than the one in Cabanatuan, where they rescued the 500 POWs. I think it was called Camp # 1? Not sure.

Hi Nebseyer, Oops, my mistake. Thanks for the correction. My friend had read the book “The Ghost Soldiers” about the Cabanatuan Raid and he told me that it wasn’t called Cabanatuan POW Camp, but Camp O’Donnell. According to what I read on line, Camp O’Donnell was the final stop on the Bataan Death March, but, as you said, not where the 511 POW’s were rescued. Do you think you can post something about Camp O’Donnell for us?

Hi guys! I haven’t been on for a while. George Eller, are you still around? I wanted to give another update regarding the 6th Rangers raid on Cabanatuan POW Camp. Believe it or not, I’m in the process of returning yet another WWII dog tag that belonged to a 6th Ranger! I’m not releasing the name yet, since the tag is still in New Guinea, so I’m holding off on contacting the family until it’s safely in my hands. However, I can tell you that this man was definitely in the 6th Rangers. He was in Company C. The commander of Company C assembled the entire Company C and asked for volunteers to go on the raid, since it was to be an “all volunteer” mission. Every single man in Company C stepped forward. So, unless the man who wore this tag was sick or injured, he was definitely on the raid! More on this (if I remember and have time) when the tag comes home to America and is safely returned to the family.:smiley:

Francesca,

Hi.

It’s been a long time since we corresponded, but you should post more.

A woman’s view is almost always missing here.

For example, there have been discussions about rape and sex slaves by men which could be (and I’m being generous here) somewhat dismissive about women’s experiences.

Why don’t you round up some women to belt us men around the head so we have a better understanding of women’s perspectives on such issues?

Cheers. :smiley:

P.S. George is still around, and as widely informed as ever.

Oh boy! Don’t get me into a debate about the treatment of women, lol! I’m too busy returning WWII dog tags right now to get involved in bashing men for being dismissive of women’s rape and torture. I figure, if they are too insensitive to be able to imagine the shoe on the other foot, then there’s really no point in trying to change or educate them. I suppose I could ask them to watch that horrific scene of a man being raped by another man in “Pulp Fiction” to get just a tiny clue as to how brutal rape would be from a man’s perspective? In fact, since I can’t get involved right now, maybe that would be a good way for you to try to get them to actually be able to picture themselves in such a situation. Maybe then they can empathize with what millions of women all over the world have endured during all of the wars that have ever been fought. As for rounding up more women, I wish I knew some who were interested in this issue. Most of my friends’ eyes glaze over when I talk about my WWII interest, so I’ve learned to keep it to myself and only have a few like minded friends I have discussions with. This international forum has been great because of all the information that gets shared from folks with different opinions, interests and knowledge bases. Oh, that reminds me, I’m running to post something right now for the Aussies to look at. Look for my post on the Bakers Creek, Australia air crash of June 14th, 1943.

Hi Francesca - I’m still here :slight_smile:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131950&postcount=128

It’s great to have you back on the forum. :smiley:

Thanks RS :smiley: