looking for Corsairs

ok, guys… first post.
How are you all, glad to have found the site and I hope it turns into a valuable tool for me. I’m a photo editor at a national magazine as well as a freelance photographer. I’ve a bit of experience in this world of “vintage” color images and maybe I’ll run into someone I know … wouldn’t suprise me at all.

On to the question of the day!
I’m looking for color Corsairs. Navy, Marine, doesn’t make a difference right now. WW II only and ideally I’d like to find something that would work as an opening spread (talking magazine story here) Please pm or email me if you think you can help.

Question number two.
I’m in a crunch and I’m looking for a fairly well known color image of Fighter 'Ace" David “Tex” Hill. I’ve seen the photo before, he’s standing nextto the cockpit doors of his P-51C. I’ve seen the image in BW but know it’s also in color. Time is fading fast and if you can help please contact me ASAP.

Thanks!!
Guy

Have you tried google??

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=tex+hill+images&btnG=Search&meta=

Not sure if these would be acceptable (possible copyright issues).

All three images are from: WWII Pacific War Eagles: China/Pacific Conflict in Original Color, Jeffrey L. Ethell & Warren M. Brodie, Widewing Publications, 1997, pp 69, 70 and 120.

Thumbnails - click for larger image (JPEG format):

Corsair-01

1st Lt. Robert W. McClurg in F4U Corsair of VMF-214, better known as “Pappy” Boyington’s “Black Sheep” squadron, May 1944 after a raid on Rabaul. McClurg was one of Maj. Greg “Pappy” Boyington’s favorite wingmen. Full text is on the image itself.

Corsair-02

p 70 “The F4U-1 Corsairs of VMF-222 stand ready at Vella Lavella Island on December 15, 1943. Two days later the squadron took part in the first Marine Corps fighter sweep over Rabaul. The Flying Deuces, like so many other Marine Corsair squadrons, were gypsies who hopped from one scraped-out Pacific airstrip to another as the war moved up the island chains toward Japan…”

Mustang-01

p 120 “Viewed from a B-25 Mitchell, Betty Lou, a P-51D belonging to the group’s 341st Fighter Squadron, cruises blissfully in heavenly beauty somewhere near it’s Luzon base in the Philippines, circa 1945.” (Fifth Air Force, 348th Fighter Group, 341st Fighter Squadron)

NOTE: These are JPEG images. I have the original scanned images in TIF format, but the file sizes are much larger and would need to be emailed direct. There may be some copyright issues as well.

Thanks for the response George. I have the book and am in contact with the Ethell site (I understand that his son runs it now) I thought that maybe folks here might have some alternate sources. Unterstand the entire copyright issue, etc.

I’ll let you know what I find out. Thanks for the constructive reply.