luftwaffe

quotes:

Under the terms of the Versailles Treaty Germany was forbidden to own military aircraft. The design and manufacture of civil aircraft was permitted and important figures such as Hugo Junkers, Ernst Heinkel and Willy Messerschmitt continued to work in the industry

After Adolf Hitler came to power he made it clear that he was unwilling to keep to the terms of the peace treaties and in 1935 Hermann Goering announced the establishment of the Luftwaffe in March, 1935. Over the next few years Goering, the commander-in-chief of the Luftwaffe, ordered the production of a large number of fighter planes such as the Messerschmitt Bf109, the Messerschmitt 110, Junkers Stuka, Heinkel He111 and the Dornier D017 bomber.

By 1938 Germany was producing 1,100 aeroplanes a year. During the invasion of Poland the Luftwaffe used 1,750 bombers and 1,200 fighters.

Confidence in the Luftwaffe was undermined during the Battle of Britain. The Heinkel He111 and the Dornier D017 were not sufficiently armed to resist attacks by British fighter planes. The Junkers Stuka, which had been used successfully in the invasion of Poland and France, turned out to be too slow when faced with the Spitfire and Hurricane.

The Luftwaffe had considerable success during Operation Barbarossa in 1941. Like in earlier attacks on Poland, Denmark and Holland, it did well against poorly defended targets. German pilots easily dealt with the Soviet airforce and aces such as Erich Hartmann was credited with 352 victories.

On the death of Oberst Moelders on 22nd November 1941, Adolf Galland succeeded him as General of the Fighter Arm. The following year Galland became Germany’s youngest general. He also commanded the German fighters that opposed the Allied landings in Sicily in July 1943.

In 1943 Adolf Galland began to argue that the Luftwaffe needed to change to a more defensive strategy. Adolf Hitler and Hermann Goering disagreed and after a series of arguments Galland was sacked as General of the Fighter Arm in December 1944. Galland returned to front-line duty and and after shooting down two more Allied aircraft on 26th April 1945 he brought his score to 103.

Germany continued to increase production of aircraft during the Second World War. There were 10,800 built in 1940; 11,800 in 1941, 15,600 in 1942, 25,500 in 1943 and 39,800 in 1944.

In 1944 Germany began producing jet aeroplanes. This included the Messerschmitt Me 262, the Arado Ar 234 and the Heinkel He 162. Although outstanding aircraft they appeared too late to have any impact on the outcome of the war.

I can post long and lyrical regarding the Luftwaffe.

In sum, they grew from nothing to become a tactical air force, were stifled by infighting and back biting and many new designs were shelved as Hitler though the war would be won before expense should have been spent or wasted. He also stifled many fighter designs by insisting that they either be capable of dive bombing or bombing alone. The ME262 is a great example of this folly as he stipulated that in 1942 the worlds best potential fighter for 1944 should carry bombs - madness for sure as if that aircraft had been fully operational in May 1944, the allies would have struggled for air superiority over the D-Day landings.

The Luftwaffe became so innefective that a great many of their personnel were transferred to ground units, the most notable being the LAH, an SS division no less.

My Best Friends Father was a pilot for the nazi luftwaffe, and he has kept all his uniforms and helmets, Even a FG-42 :shock:

crazy guy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The engineers and scientists who designed planes for the Luftwaffe where very advanced (whoever they may be). They understood that when you reach high speeds you have to adjust the wings to make it slanted and that will therefore increase the speed etc. Theres not one wing design in mordern aircraft that they havent looked into.

yeah haha my friends dad sometimes just watches the german news on telly and just critisizes their hairstyles :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

im not sure if the creation of a mass fleet of me262s would really cause the allies to struggle that much. the me262 was hugely expensive to maintain and fuel.

in 1944 june the germans only had the ability to fuel and pilot 400 aircraft in the western front. even if these were all me262s, it still wouldn’t be enough.
the me262, while devastating in the ground role and anti-heavy bomber role, was too fast and hard to control to dogfight as well as the focke-wulf. dora. however, its fast enough to be very hard to shoot down, though.

i belive only 8 of the 300 me262s deployed were actually lost to enemy fire. the rest were due to accidents, overrun airfields, and lack of fuel/parts.
its in osprey’s german jet aces book.

i think that if the jet fighter was mass deployed, the main damage they would do would be to america/britian’s bomber wings. however, the allied fighter-bombers/long range fighters would still dominate the skies.

'if you look at pictures of kampfgruppe hansen of the LAH in the ardennes in 1944,
there are luftwaffe replacements. german industry was so short that these men weren’t even given new waffen-ss uniforms.

my grandfather’s “elite” unit had luftwaffe/wermarcht nco replacements…

Let me know & I’ll take into legal safe-keeping in exchange fr some readies.

Let me know & I’ll take into legal safe-keeping in exchange fr some readies.[/quote]

a pilot should not have access to a rare weapon like the fg42. 7 or 9 thousand were made and issued to select paratroops…

The FG-42 (Fallschirmjägergewehr-42 or Paratrooper’s rifle, Model 1942) is a light and powerful weapon, specifically designed for German airborne soldiers. The paratroopers were an elite unit of German armed forces and belonged to the Luftwaffe. Paratroopers usually operate far from home bases and had to have all their firepower at hand. The Luftwaffe issued the request for universal hand held weapon, intended to replace the bolt-action rifles, submachine guns and machine guns then in service. The design specifications were for a selective fire, lightweight rifle, firing the standard issue 7.92x57mm ammunition, and capable of controllable full automatic fire, as well as accurate single shot semi-automatic fire.

The German Army was quite reluctant about feasibility of the selective-fire full power rifle and supported intermediate 7.92x33 Kurtz cartridge later used in the Stg.44 assault rifle. But the Luftwaffe insisted on the full-power weapon. The FG-42 design attempted to strike a balance between the weight limitations of the machine carbine and the power and pressure requirements of the rifle or light machine gun.

Let me know & I’ll take into legal safe-keeping in exchange fr some readies.[/quote]

a pilot should not have access to a rare weapon like the fg42. 7 or 9 thousand were made and issued to select paratroops…[/quote]

Yeah thats true, they are pretty darn good, thats why i was pretty shocked when i saw it with my owne eyes, its covered with dust up ON DISPLAY !!! ,on a high shelf with a lock on it.
Though he is a old german veteran from the War, I think it is quite alright for him to have it, he hasnt used it since the war anyway.

Maybe that rifle cant shot becouse she’s old.

Yes, i did wonder that, but then again dust wont damage a rifle over 60 years would it, especially if its been moved from house to house in movings.

a pilot should not have access to a rare weapon like the fg42. 7 or 9 thousand were made and issued to select paratroops…[/quote]

Yeah thats true, they are pretty darn good, thats why i was pretty shocked when i saw it with my owne eyes, its covered with dust up ON DISPLAY !!! ,on a high shelf with a lock on it.
Though he is a old german veteran from the War, I think it is quite alright for him to have it, he hasnt used it since the war anyway.[/quote]

so he was a paratrooper??

No he was a luftwafe pilot ,say Commando Jordovski .

Yeah he was a luftwaffe pilot during the 1940’s.