m22 locust

i’ve seen many photos of this tank, and i have seen it in video games, but i have never actually seen it in a movie or in any simulated action.

How effective was this airborn light tank in combat?

It looks very weak, a 37mm gun with a 15-30 rpm, has 3/4s to 1inch armor, but has a very low silhouette. I would really like to know how this tank performed in comparison with the stuart.

It would appear that it only performed once and that was Op Varsity when it was part of 6 Airborne and delivered by Hamilcar. I do not think it was ever used by the US? It is not a tank but a recce veh. It would not last long against tanks and larger armoured car of the Germans. The gun on the Brit light tank (name escapes me) would probably have been better, just, and was used in Normandy. You may have been better with a Daimler.

Tetrarch?

Hello

For my answer I will use the documents of Operation Varsity, National Archives signature CAB 106/1050.

I would say they were as effective as the gliders delivering them. During Operation Varsity of eight M22s four were destroyed during landing, two were out of order after landing, finally only two were combat ready.

Yes, you are right.
Two M22s supported the troops of 12th Battalion Devonshire Regiment and a group of the glider pilots.

Never.

Best regards

Greg

Do you think the M22 had any effect on the design and idea of the M155A1 Sheridan? Although not only used by the airborne the Sheridan was light enough to be droped to bases with runways or extremely flat zones without the Cargo plane touching down.

M22 (Yes its roughly that size)

Column of M22’s

M155A1

Ha! :smiley: Very good question but without very good answer as it seems to me. No doubt very far ghost of M22 can be seen in M155 but no simple rules in this case. Of course, forgotten dream of the US abn forces to have its own recce AFV can be seen in M155 but this is not the same idea as M22. Locust was not dangerous for the German tanks whereas M155 with its 152mm hybrid gun/missile launcher might be deadly weapon against enemy heavy AFVs.

Best :smiley:

Greg