M3A1 Stuarts discovered in Brazil

http://www.milweb.net/features/m3a1_stuart_tank.php

16 total with spare parts and engines. Amazing.

What a great find!
I would love one of those “Honeys”!

I can’t imagine the nightmare to take these babies back to England.
Just for the spare parts ,it would be worth it though.
Very good find,thanks.

that interesting i found a picture a ww2 sherman in iraq or afghanistan is was on a polish transport truck

Considering the rarity of any decent Stuart these days, these will find generous homes fairly soon . They are actually small enough to park in a larger U.S. type residential garage (with a little massaging :slight_smile: )

It’s amazing, but things long thought of as extinct are again turning up in the jungles of Brazil.

wow thoughs are great! i wish i had 1 of those amazing weapons of mass distruction!

wow I was one of 2 students in 15 years to get the continetal w-670 radial engine to run, I should call this guy as that engine in paticular has a special start up sequence if you dont drain the bottom cylinder of excess oil before starting you can ruin the engine very easily and the timing of the 2 magnetos to be very important, also to make the intakes are good and sealed otw lots of flames out the exaust…!!!

Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is all I can say what a lucky SOB!

I saw one of these running here two weeks ago.
They are early models with the two Brownings in sponsons on either side of the hull and a high cupola on the turret.

I understand in South America quite a bit of stuff is sitting in storage. After WW2 we sold them all kinds of weapons. F4Us, P-38s, tanks, cannon, small arms, ships, etc…

Lately we have imported 1911 .45s built under license in Argentina. or Brazil. And 1917 revolvers to!

Sure would be wonderful to look in an old warehouse down there and see the twin booms of a P38 sticking out from some canvas!

I sure hope after they dewat the guns on those M3A1s, they bring some back to the USA. Quite a piece of history.

Deaf

One thing you arent reaslising is in WW II Brazil was our first ally on the american continet excluding Canada but she at that time was still commenwealth so she doesent count…

The majority of WW II surplus in Brazil is stuff from the lend lease program as is almost all of the WW II armor aircraft and equiptment left all over the world so in this aspect you are making a mistake we didnt sell them the stuff we gave them the stuff just like the Destroyers that Argentena used in the Falklands war they were Items “purchased” by the government under programs sponsered by the US Government much like the lend lease program of WW II sure we sold them stuff “lend lease”,IE this is where most of the surplus Garands and other items that pop up on the arms markets come frome just like the several hundred thousand M-1 Garands that are still sitiing in military Depos in Denmark and Belgium to this day…if you dont belive me go to the CMP webpage (civilian Marksmanship Program) IE the Greek Garands Danish Garands and Belgian Garands I bought myself a 1000 rounds of Greek ammo funny that it was packed in anamerican smap can in american type carboard packaging and all in english why it was made under contract by the USA for the Greeks so it is not Greek but American manufacture for the Greeks just like the weapons american made in Greek arsenals…sick to think that 65+ years later we are buying back our own stuff that was payed by taxes from our own people so in a sence we are paying for it twice!
Also dont forget that we have been supplying south american governemnts for 65 years to prevent the further spread of communism with “AID” so in fact we didnt sell them anything we gave it to them and then they owe us then they sell it off to private contarctors to “Pay” us back with ower own public money Nice isnt it!

Got to love Polotics!

This is an interesting offering on ebay, and its one of the lowest prices going these days. Long ago, I turned down a running Sherman because it was too expensive, ($10,000) Times have changed, you can look it up on ebay motors, in the military section, the price is $185,000.00 :mrgreen:

BYs5zCmkKGrHgoH-CIEjlLl26yBKi-qOdr_3.JPG