M4 Sherman Flame-Thrower

I know there’s been a long thread about this type already, but I was wondering if anyone had any more photos of the M4 flamethrower variant. I have seen some on the other thread, but nothing clear enough for detailing, especially around the rear.

I am planning a pencil drawing and want to feature this version of the tank.

Regards :smiley:

Great stuff, Panzer, thanks! :smiley:

No problem, if you browse our color gallery in the mother site youll find more related images. :wink:

Brilliant, I’ll check it out, and thanks very much for your help :slight_smile:

Are you still seeking photos? I have several photos of different variants, mostly of museum pieces, on another computer.

Wasnt there one in wich the flmethrower was in the turret?

Feel free to add them to this site so others can rate and comment them.

YUP!

there were even so called m4 sherman “crocodile” variants which used the british built armored trailer from the churchill crocodile. on the european theatre of war there were 2 tanks converted that way but due to my literature the americans made not a lot of use of them. I do not know if this specific version was used in the pacific.

jens

The USMC used M4A3R3’s at Iwo Jima. :wink:

I keep meaning to do this, and forget – the images are on another computer. Hopefully this weekend…

Finally remembered to do this. As you can see, these are of a different nature than those in the other photos: a second flame barrel was added directly to the turret, in place of the MG. This was not as common as the much simpler Flame gun replacement of the bow MG, but IIRC, provided greater range. I thought I had more than just these, but didn’t find them, or at least not yet. This are hotlinked to my own page; not sure how long I’ll keep them up… If ww2admin wants to upload them to his site, I can only say I found these “somewhere” on the Internet, and I have no clue as to their copyright status.

Note that there was also a flame-throwing version of the M5 Stuart, called the Satan, used by the USMC in the Pacific…

Those were found on this site:
http://www.battletanks.com/m4_w_flamethrower.htm

You can see some good footage of them in the movie “Halls of Monezuma” starring Richard Widmark. The ones they show in the movie do not seem to have a second barrel for the flamethrower, as doesn’t the one shown in this thread at Iwo Jima, the flame looks like it comes right from the main gun barrel.

All WWII Flame throwing Shermans used the main barrel as the projector, the separate barrel was introduced post war, by the USMC, and mainly if not exclusivly on 105mm howitzer tanks.

Satan was on an M3, not M5 varient, it was used during 1943.

Hi ianrs54, I believe you’re correct about the M3 or M3A1 being the basis for the Satan; thanks for catching my slip. However, I am reasonably sure you are mistaken about all WWII Shermans using the main barrel as the projector. I believe the most common flame weapon used in the Sherman was actually a (standardized, though I don’t recall the Army designation) field conversion kit that replaces the hull MG, as shown in the two photos of the thread’s initial post. I’m not sure, but there may have been a replacement for the turret MG also – I’d have to go look (and if it could be used in the turret, it may or may not have been the same kit as used for the bow/hull). IIRC, the kit weapons did had neither the full range or fuel capacity of the tanks using the main barrel.

Whoops forgot about the conversion kit. All SPECAILIST flamethowing Shermans used the main barrel would be correct. There is good newsreel film of them on Iwo Jima as well.