Firearm action gas operated open bolt
Overall length 1.077 mm (42.4 in)
Barrel length 560 mm (22 in)
Max range 3,725 m (4,075 yd)
Rate of fire 550 round/min
Muzzle velocity 853 m/s (2,800 ft/s)
Wieght unloaded 23.1 lb
Manufactured saco defense U.S. Ordnance

550 rounds a minute, I heard that some guys researched this and used an M60 and made a longer belt to hold 850 rounds and they fired all 850 rounds without stopping and no overheating in 1 minute 45 seconds. Can anybody prove this?

You cannot break the laws of physics.

ISBN 0330353152, page 244

One very rigorous test, which took place at Fort Benning, Georgia, in 1967, saw a standard off-the-shelf M60 fire a 50 m belt of ammunition in a single burst; the barrel became red-white hot and each of the last few hundred rounds fired caused showers of sparks to radiate from its outer surface. On later examination, the gun was found to be substantially undamaged.

The barrel on the other hand will have been scrap.

I’ve found the video clip here it is http://www.metacafe.com/watch/52637/m60_machine_gun/ firing 850 rounds as it seems.

Great video, it seem quite odd because I have never heard a machine gun fire for that long! I like the M60, did you know it was derived from the German MG42?

Only the feed and the in-line layout is derived from the MG 42. The action is Lewis gun via the FG42.

The M60 does look a bit like the MG42.

A 3 second burst is long for a machine gun. Even air cooled fifties in aircraft with air flowing 300MPH were never laid on in sustained, continious fire. 1-2 second bursts were the rule. The barrels would warp easily if you held the trigger down a long time.

Barrels of most MGs and, yes rifles too, would warp with heavy use- hot temps.

Unless you’re talking about the Grand Old Lady!

Lokk, it a direct descendant of the MG 42, but it don’t have the
quality of it.
I preffer the FN MAG. :arrow:

Apparently, so does the US military.

I SAY AGAIN:

Only the feed system comes from the MG 42. The operating system is Lewis gun via FG 42.