Make LOCATION mandatory?

It seems we are getting more international users. This is great! World War II was a WORLD WAR, not just a war that took place on some small island in the pacific. Therefore, do you think we should make it mandatory that all users must now put down their location in their profile so we know where they are writing from? Or, should we let users keep their location anonymous if they choose to?

I think some users would be a bit paranoid about it. Yet I really like this idea. I guess if they are that paranoid then they can lie. But it is really nice to know what region of the world are users are coming from. SO…

I am all for it! :wink:

I like the idea.

100% fully agreed with ww2admin.

Seems like a good idea! You want me to take care of that or will you?

If you know how, go for it. Thanks.

Some Brits would be reluctant for PERSEC reasons, but as GS pointed out, having UK for location in their case would be fine. Anyway we have for instance a Croatian guy who wrote Germany as his location…

I’m for it as well. :cool:

Sometimes searching for IPs might be tricky. I remember that last year (or 2 years ago) I made several posts using some proxy servers from China and South Korea. At that time for that posts I had IPs that ends in .cn and .kr :slight_smile:

Just imagine that some users might like to be online through proxy servers…

But anyway I think that this situation is around 5% or less.

Yea I know how but im not sure which setting to use!

Yes, at registration and profile updating - User will be required to complete this field at registration and when updating their profile.

Yes, always - User will be required to complete this field at registration. Enabling this setting will force all users to complete it before they can continue using your forum.

No - Completion of this field is optional.

No, but display at registration - Completion of this field is optional but it will appear at registration.

Maybe the last or 1st choice is best…not sure. Obviously it is currently set to the 3rd option.

It doesnt bother me either way and guys will continue to fill in what they want, ‘under a bush’ etc for location and if they do I for one wont be hounding them to change their location. I think that the Forum posts are more important than the posters locations.

lets try the first option. Hope we don’t lose half our members now:(

Btw, if someone doesnt want to put down their location, they can make something up.

Done…lets see if we get any complaints. I put in the explanation that if you are uneasy that you may place a false location. Just dont want to deter members because of this issue.

It shouldnt be published in the Feedback section ?