Marines in Europe in World War II ???

Did any US Marine Forces fought in Europe ???

I’m not aware of any numbers of them off the top of my head, and doubt more than a few “advisers” or “observers” that might have fought with US Army troops at various landings in North Africa, Italy, and Normandy…

I believe they may have fought some small naval and landing actions though, like seizing the German weather stations located in Greenland…but that might have also been the US Coast Guard which definitely seized a few German outposts and weather stations…

i asked because in the home page , there is a foto of a marine unit which is landing in omaha or in jutah .

Are you sure they aren’t Rangers, because as Nickdfresh says, there were probably observers/advisors present, not an assault unit.

Paul

Well in this foto , nothing is shown to understand that the landing troops are marines , but it was written beneath the foto , thats why i asked

It might be easier to answer your question confidently if you could post a link to the photo.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/us-army/ww2_97.html

Thanks.

Clearly a problem with an inaccurate caption.

thanks for that guys !!!

they were firing guns on Navy ships. the Marines were totally commited to the Pacific.

Depositor , i think you post this in the wrong thread . I think you should post this in “Any battle in Europe is nothing Compared to Battle of the Coral Sea”

the only marines in europe for the united states were on the naval ships but didn’t see any land combat.

There were also a scattering of officers in some staff jobs on the naval staffs & a few US Army units. There was also a USMC officer attached to the Royal Marines or Commandos if I remember correctly.

Last there is a persistant story circulating, which may or may not be true. In the spring of 1945 a US corporation, that had owned a large manufactoring enterprise in Germany, begain lobbying the US Army to “secure” its business property. Eventually this reached General Marshalls ear & he phrohibited any cooperation with this company. A senior USN officer was then prevailed upon to help out & a small group of US Marines from the Atlantic Fleet were dispatched into Germany to gurad the business offices & other property.