MBT-70 program.

Since there has been some interest in the MBT-70, you can find out about it at this link, Loading... (There, got one that works…)
Here are a few pics to whet your whistles,
The concept was advanced, but for reasons you will read about, it wasnt to be. I think it was a bit too ahead of its time technologically speaking, (as was our ability to team with another country to develop it) though with modern materials, and production processes, (and Chobham armor) it does fine as the MI-A1, though it lacks the low rider suspension…and the pretty neat turret location for the driver. (More room for food, and beer up front…)

MBT-70-1.jpg

MBT-70-2.jpg

MBT-70-3.jpg

Let me know if you need any help…

It seems to be behaving itself, (tho it took a chair, and whip…)

Many Thanks TG.

Links and info add greatly to the info I have.

One aspect of the MBT70 I recall reading was that the drivers often complained of disorientation due to their independently rotating cupola within the turret. Apparently, the motion of the cupola shifting to compensate for the motion of the turret was to blame, though I wonder if the power-assisted motion of the cupola rotation was too effective, given that in those days there was no graduated motion in power-assist technologies, it was full-on/full-off, just as with power steering in cars of the era.

Kind Regards, Uyraell.