Medal of Honor for Major Richard D. Winters

I dont think there is anything wrong with showing support for someone. Yes I learned about him from the miniseries. I signed because thats how I can show support for him and the men that served under him.

However I would be extremely shocked if the US Army (who im sure is aware the most are signing because of the miniseries) actually took it seriously. I do agree that civilians should have absolutely no say in military affairs such as the medal of honor.

Lastly I am glad that I asked the “For those that havent signed what are your objections?” question. It has sparked a rather interesting debate.

I have the series “Band of Brothers” on DVD. If I am not mistaken, according to the bonus features of the set, Dick Winters passed away shortly after the series was produced.

Even if he was to be awarded the medal, he would not be around to receive it.

One comment: the article attached to the petition appears to be calling for him to be given the MoH based upon his leadership ability, not his personal bravery. So far as I recall, no US medals are awarded on the basis of leadership ability.

Not exactly true! Now not comparing the 2 men but

MacARTHUR, DOUGLAS

Rank and organization: General, U.S. Army, commanding U.S. Army Forces in the Far East. Place and date: Bataan Peninsula, Philippine Islands. Entered service at: Ashland, Wis. Birth: Little Rock, Ark. G.O. No.: 16, 1 April 1942. Citation: For conspicuous leadership in preparing the Philippine Islands to resist conquest, for gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against invading Japanese forces, and for the heroic conduct of defensive and offensive operations on the Bataan Peninsula. He mobilized, trained, and led an army which has received world acclaim for its gallant defense against a tremendous superiority of enemy forces in men and arms. His utter disregard of personal danger under heavy fire and aerial bombardment, his calm judgment in each crisis, inspired his troops, galvanized the spirit of resistance of the Filipino people, and confirmed the faith of the American people in their Armed Forces.

One of my personal favorites
MURPHY, AUDIE L.

Rank and organization: Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army, Company B 1 5th Infantry, 3d Infantry Division. Place and date: Near Holtzwihr France, 26 January 1945. Entered service at: Dallas, Tex. Birth: Hunt County, near Kingston, Tex. G.O. No… 65, 9 August 1945. Citation 2d Lt. Murphy commanded Company B, which was attacked by 6 tanks and waves of infantry. 2d Lt. Murphy ordered his men to withdraw to prepared positions in a woods, while he remained forward at his command post and continued to give fire directions to the artillery by telephone. Behind him, to his right, 1 of our tank destroyers received a direct hit and began to burn. Its crew withdrew to the woods. 2d Lt. Murphy continued to direct artillery fire which killed large numbers of the advancing enemy infantry. With the enemy tanks abreast of his position, 2d Lt. Murphy climbed on the burning tank destroyer, which was in danger of blowing up at any moment, and employed its .50 caliber machinegun against the enemy. He was alone and exposed to German fire from 3 sides, but his deadly fire killed dozens of Germans and caused their infantry attack to waver. The enemy tanks, losing infantry support, began to fall back. For an hour the Germans tried every available weapon to eliminate 2d Lt. Murphy, but he continued to hold his position and wiped out a squad which was trying to creep up unnoticed on his right flank. Germans reached as close as 10 yards, only to be mowed down by his fire. He received a leg wound, but ignored it and continued the single-handed fight until his ammunition was exhausted. He then made his way to his company, refused medical attention, and organized the company in a counterattack which forced the Germans to withdraw. His directing of artillery fire wiped out many of the enemy; he killed or wounded about 50. 2d Lt. Murphy’s indomitable courage and his refusal to give an inch of ground saved his company from possible encirclement and destruction, and enabled it to hold the woods which had been the enemy’s objective.

Info is from the following site which states the action of all MoH recipients.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/moh1.htm

Does have the feeling of a political award (not exactly unknown with the MoH - see for instance the battalion during the ACW who were awarded it for extending their enlistment by a few months, although thankfully it was later forfeited). I don’t see any act in there deserving of such an award - while if there were another similar one for leadership he might well be in the running.

By all accounts and from that Citation Murphy earned his MoH. This is what made him famous and got his acting career off to a start, he was only 3 foot six though!

Winters is still alive ,but he is not doing so well he has parkinson disease

http://www.majordickwinters.com/

Gutkowski wrote:

Winters is still alive, but he is not doing so well he has parkinson disease.

http://www.majordickwinters.com/

Thanks Gutkowski. I’m glad to hear that.

It might have been Lieutenant Spears that passed away about the time of the filming. Captain Nixon died in 1995 according to the bonus features on the “Band of Brothers” DVD set.

Major Winters appears to be a very modest and noble man from the interviews of him and his fellow “Easy” Company veterans during the series. One quote comes to mind from a conversation with his grandson - “Grandpa, were you a hero during the war. Grandpa said, no, but I served in a Company of Heroes”.

Ya that made me want to give him a hug and tell him that he and his men were Heros :smiley:

I have to agree with Stoat, the MOH is given for people who go above and beyond the call of duty. Maj. Winters is a great man but he was doing the job he was trained for, if you give the MOH to him what about all the brave men who were with him? It is a nice gesture to want to reward him for his service but if we give the MOH to everyone who did a great job, I believe the medal would lose its meaning.

Agree.

Criteria: The Medal of Honor is awarded by the President, in the name of Congress, to a person who, while a member of the Army, distinguishes himself or herself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his or her life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in action against an enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party. The deed performed must have been one of personal bravery or self-sacrifice so conspicuous as to clearly distinguish the individual above his or her comrades and must have involved risk of life. Incontestable proof of the performance of the service will be exacted and each recommendation for the award of this decoration will be considered on the standard of extraordinary merit.

nominate Damian Lewis for the MoH. He did do a great job of portraying Winters.
Personally, if i take into account lots of other non Ambrose material on Easy, I would nominate Richard Speirs. Now that guy sounds like a true warrior and was in the thick of it all the way through. IMHO
But don’t get me started on Ambrose. That is one guy i have lots to say on and most of it (but not all) is not good.

Agreed. Many newer staff on the set of BOB refused to believe he was British. In fact, I was shocked to see him on a PBS station (in The Forsyte Saga) in the States speaking in his normal dialect.

Signed

Might refresh this one coz Winters (whom im sure is perfectly happy without one) was initally put in for the MoH. Just noticed that no one ever mentioned this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_D._Winters

I think this is more of the reason for the poll. To reconsider why he didnt recieve the award.

I still dont think that average citizens should be involved in military affairs of this nature. But if they were then I ask them to reconsider.

signed

Agreed, but for what it is worth…signed.

“Lieutenant Winters was recommended for the Medal of Honor for leading an assault that destroyed a battery of German 105 mm howitzers which were situated to fire onto the causeways that served as the principal exits from Utah Beach during the D-Day assault. The guns were defended by at least one platoon of Germans; Winters had only 12 men. The assault occurred south of Le Grand-Chemin, and is often referred to as the Brécourt Manor Assault. In addition to taking out the battery Winters also obtained a map detailing all German defenses in the Utah Beach area. The recommendation was later downgraded to the Distinguished Service Cross, the U.S. military’s second highest award for combat valor, due to the policy of only one Medal of Honor awarded per division (Lieutenant Colonel Robert G. Cole was the 101st Airborne soldier to receive the Medal of Honor for the Normandy Campaign)”

I copied this from the link above. It seems Winters may not have received the MOH because it was policy to issue only one per division per campaign and not because his actions lacked merit. I know the source of this info is biased but it would not be unusual for a decision on who received an award to be decided because of rank as well as any other supporting evidence.

I don’t want to undermine Colonel Cole’s achievements, I’m sure he is a very brave man. However, it would be interesting to compare the reccomendations made for both men.

Having said that, I have no doubt other officers & men were reccomended for the MOH in Normandy from the 101st who may also have had there award down graded or even turned down totally.

Signed, a decision made purely for emotional reasons.

Put him in your prayers to get better.