Medals of the Siege of Stalingrad from both sides.

Since it’s been so quiet here of late, I dug a couple pieces out of my Collection that are from the Time of the Stalingrad Siege. First, the Soviet Medal, Some of their awards were pretty generic, and were given to cover any number of situations, this one says: “For the defense of Stalingrad. For our Soviet motherland”

The German counterpart is the "Winter Battle in the East 1941–42 Medal "(Medaille Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42)

thumbnail (20).jpg

thumbnail (19).jpg

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

They pretty interesting. Do you display them or keep them in a case or something?

For the moment, they stay in their boxes in a Drawer, I have wanted to get them a wall Frame, with a plaque.

Hi friends, i doubt the german one is for salingrad - the battle fo stalingrad is dated winter of 42/43. keep in mind the final of that battlel for 6-army( surrender) i doubt the german medal for that battle ever exist. The medal for winter 1941/42 i suppose is about battle of Moscow or siege of Leningrad

Hi my Friend Chevan! Always good to hear from you. Yes the timeline isn’t exactly a match, but my guess is that the Germans just decided to use this Medal for that action. My reason being they had by that time limited resources, and didn’t want to create a new Medal for it, so they just used one they already had on hand. You keep well now old friend.