Mercantile "Merchant" Marine - Dramatic Photos | Gallery

Mercantile "Merchant" Marine

Underpaid, terrible conditions, and all to often an awful end...these brave souls, offically non-combatants, were the life line to England who, for too long, stood alone... The Battle of the Atlantic was not won by any Navy or any Air Force, it was won by the courage, fortitude and determination of the British and Allied Merchant Navy - Rear Admiral Leonard W. Murray

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/dramatic-photos/35736/mercantile-%22merchant%22-marine

My grandfather joined the Portuguese navy in 1940 and spent the first 3 years on a destroyer patrolling the Azores Sea, he told me many stories about how he and his shipmates answered distress calls from many U-boat victims, he said he would never forget how, when pulling a badly burned sailor aboard, the skin would come out in huge pieces. Brave men, all of them…

I think the sacrifices and bravery of these men is (tragically) not properly recognized. All were brave in the Atlantic, you would have to be to not go insane at the stress of being out to sea and constant danger above and below the war - but to be on a defenseless ship (often full of fuel, munitions, etc…), knowledgeable of the horrible losses incurred early on, and just waiting to see a torpedo’s trail in the war at any time! Those guys were truly courageous…Thank you for sharing, Neutral …

There is evidence that even the brave crews of the U-boats recognized this…An example I had come across in the past could be found in an incident involving U-Boat men saving numerous individuals floundering in the water…so numerous, they needed to be kept above deck, and thus requiring the ship to remain on the surface and vulnerable…though red-cross flags (i believe, but may be mistaken) were displayed and radio transmissions declaring this alarming act of compassion were broadcast to both side - unwittingly these craft were strafed by American patrol planes…Such was the outrage that Doenitz from then on disallowed his U-Boat crews to ever again risk their lives and ships assisting the survivors of sinking enemy craft, regardless of their horrible plight…

"Living with the dread of wondering if you would ever make it to the port."
I think this quote sums it pretty much up. Those men are also overlooked in my eyes.