Metal detector research on "gothic line", Italy

Sorry guys, but I didn’t find the section in object…
Can I open one discussion about my research on the Gothic Line near Florence (italian front), whit my MD? :confused:

Thanks in advance…:wink:

Not a problem if your subject doesn’t fit exactly into one of the existing categories. I’d suggest either German Military in WW2 or General WW2 discussion. Most people tend to use the “New Posts” link to search for new stuff anyway, so the forum you choose tends to quickly become irrelevant anyway.

New material from any source is always welcome by the way.

Grazie! :wink: I’m going…

Here we are with my photos and tales about my hobby: keep out from the WW2 battlefield a lot of american, germans, british, object, with my metal detector.

Near Florence, in Italy, were I was born there is the Gothic Line. Huge battlefield in mountain (not over 1500 m) where americans and britsh lost many equipments on the terrein… germans object insteand is too diffucult to find out!

Here we are some photos with explain… I think too update this section sometimes if you are interested. :wink:

Me and my friend (I know him on a MD forum, photo taken by my brother). In this photos we extract 200 cal. 45 - Thompson or pistol ammo

Here we found 2 .50 browning ammo (open), one with tracer (the right one on the top) and normal on the left…

Inthe bottom right 4 ammo for Winchester M1 Carabine and in the center the rest of MK2 handgranade.

In the bottom left, I dont’ remember… pistol cartridge, but not of a WW2 gun :frowning:

Just a note - be very careful if you do find unfired ammunition. Propellant may deteriorate and become less stable over time. Personally I would leave any unfired ammunition where it is, but this is obviously your choice.

That is great work Berns, its fun to see how you collect your prizes.Here down south, there are groups doing the very same thing looking for relics of the American Civil
war. Still there is much to be discovered, from spent bullets, to buttons, buckles, dropped weapons, and the always popular cannon balls, and shells. Also a word of caution regarding U.S. .50 cal ammo, the bullets themselves, may have an incindiary pack in the tip of the bullet, so if you encounter unfired ammo, it may have this in it. there is no fuze, just the impact will set it off, so be careful with them. spent bullets should be okay, but you never know. Spent cases are fine, nothing there to cause harm. And yes, i would like to see more when you can.

yes it is correct… by the way, we know what we seek and we pay attemption, especially whe we dig them. :wink: Sometimes we leave object that seem dangerous such as granede with phosphorus member… :roll:

Yes find out them! :frowning: We didn’t keep obviously but we often find any kind of ammo, opened. I don’t know why especially americans open for example Garand ammo… to ignite a fire? To cook someting? :confused:strange but not rare… :wink: Sometimes the empty cartridge appears with its ball threaded into wrong way…

We find out many USA object in a place where were an america camp in 1944… ammonition but also buttons (in the center of next pic) and another interesting thing: commemorative bracelet (in the right)!!! watch out: On the left a gun oilcan mayby…

That is really nice stuff. We’ll have to start calling you “Indiana Berns” . My Father’s uniform had buttons of that type on it, he was with the forces of occupation in Japan.

Please post more when you get more photos

Yes… generally in Italy we found this type and the other one with US sign on it? You know? :wink:

Sorry, the next week end for the next update… I have my archive on local hard disk at home! :roll:

here we are (found on M. Calvi, near Futa Pass):

on the left 2 american bazooka ammo (withou explosive), on center a bottom part of american 60mm mortar round, and in the right photo many Garand ammo (only cartridge and not), fired balls, and one 60mm mortar tail…

:DYou have been a busy bee there Berns, do you know the diameter of the bazooka rocket? metric or inches is fine. That is some very nice work! I dont know what you are doing with your finds, but they may be of value if offered on ebay,or other military collectible sites.

60mm mortar ammo

Bazooka with different ammo, mine is the left one.

Diameter is about 7cm…

If I find only one I clean and conserve it, but for many same recoverys I give someone to my friends or exchenge it whit other searcher :wink:
It’s difficult, sometimes, sell them on ebay… yuo are interested to? :cool:
I have one american 57mm antithank fired balls to sell (found near german tranch)… :wink:

That would be about the size of a Bazooka rocket, I’ve never seen one thats been recovered. i don’t collect ordnance anymore, but I thought maybe if you had enough, selling it may pay for your expeditions,

Hallo guys… this week were too hot to go to search in Italy!
But here we have some 57mm (long about 20 cm) and 37mm american antitank round, firend near the Futa Pass.

I clean those “guys” whit pure hydrochloric acid, and then soap/water, and then trasparant acrilic spray to prevent any kind of oxide.

57mm_Gun_M1_-_Saint-Malon_Bretagne

Great work as always Berns. Its a treat to see all of your finds.:slight_smile: