Microsoft Windows, other PC software and your PC.

Well, now here we can duscuss everything about Windows and all PC sofware and PC’s that is good and what you do not like.

I have Windows XP home edition, but now Windows Vista is coming out and I realy wonder if it will be so great as they say it is. I personaly do not like Bill Gates, he is a asshole, a rich asshole.

I have Linux also but have never installed it on my PC. Well I do not have a great PC it is a Mecer Celeron with 768 Kingston RAM and 2.8GHz CPU.
Oh yes I have modem of course.

No Grafics Card no Sound Card.

What do you have and what would you like to have?

Henk

Win XP Pro, used to have either Mandrake or SuSE installed as dual boot (had them both at one point as a tri-boot system actually) but they didn’t transfer over to my current PC when I built it. Keep meaning to put Gentoo on it but I can’t be bothered right now and no longer share a house with someone capable of fixing it when I screw it up totally.

As for Bill Gates, he’s a really good guy and TBH you ought to be ashamed of yourself for having a go at him like that. He has done more for the third world through the money he’s giving for Malaria, TB, etc. research than just about anyone about today, and has announced he intends to give ALL his money away to charity by the time he dies. That would make him by quite some distance the biggest philanthropist in history, and for a change he’s actually giving it to something that will make a real difference rather than the usual philanthropist’s trick of giving it to something that will be associated with their name in perpetuity. Good on him.

Edit: more details on my hardware here, never did do a build log unfortunately as I didn’t have access to a digital camera at the time I built it.

The PC, that I have at present is a self build (components bought seperately and put tohether by me)
Intel P4 3.4GHz, Nivnda 6600GT 128 meg graphics card, Creative soundblaster Audigy(sp) 2 gig of ram, 2 120 gig peta and 1 300gig seta hard drive, Windows XP Home edition and a 17 inch Mitsubishi crt monitor.

If I could afford it, I would upgrade to either a Pentium 3.8GHz or a dual core 3.4, two SLI 7800 graphics cards, which would mean a new motherboard, the latest Creative soundblaster platinum edition, 4 gig of ram, two 500gig Peta, two 500 Seta hard drives, Windows XP proffesional and a 19 inch flatscreen monitor.

The first computer I played on was a Sinclair (forget the model but it was late 1979).
The first computer I bought was a Commodore 64 in 1984 and the first IBM compatable computer I owned was a Goldstar 286 in 1992.
The Goldstar had a 286 Intel cpu running at 12MHz, 1 meg of ram, a 1/4 meg graphics card built into the motherboard a 20meg hard drive and a 14inch color monitor and the opertaing system was DOS 4 or 5, can’t rember which now.

Shas

I built my own computer as well.

Specs:

-AMD 3500+ overclocked to 2.5ghz with Artic Silver 5 and a giant heatsink
-1 gig of Patriot RAM
-200gb Maxtor Hard Drive
-Connect3D X800PRO (256mb overclocked to 500mhz memory clock/500mhz core clock)
-Windows XP Pro
-Old Compaq 17" Monitor
-Logitec Headset
-Logitec Mx310 Mouse
-Onboard Sound

Way cool mate. I forgot I have 2 hard drives, 1 40 gig and 1 20 gig. I want to build my own PC, but not here. It is to expensive to it here I want to do it when I go to the UK to work there.

Mate why do you have Patriot ram, why din’t you buy Kingston? Life time garentee.

Now remember I am going to come over there to Texes and steel your PC. :lol:

How much did your PC cost you all in all?

Henk

I am change my PC after new year now i have this configuraiton:

Intel Pentium 3.4Ghz
Ram memory:1GB
Graphic card:nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra
Sound card:Sound max :?
Hard disc :80 GB

I use Windows XP and like i said i have Windows Longhorn transformator he change login screen,when starting computer now write longhorn XP,change toolbar,and a lot of new things.

Check:www.wincustomize.com or www.ashtonshell.com but wincustomize is the best there have meny things,windows blinds all chack :lol: :lol:

Dam, I have the sittyest PC around here. Hunz you lucky man, you have one of the best graphic cards around.

Now you guys just gave me the urge to brake into a PC shop and steal parts :lol: .

Now our jails are to crappy to go to for such shit, then I would rather not do it.

Thanks for the link Hunz.

How much did it all cost you to buy/build such a PC?

Henk

Hufff mate i sell my old PC and buy that one for 1100€ yes graphic is powerfull but here you alone choose you configuration,you take what you wont and then they put all parts together :smiley: and thats is not soo cheep ,for me and my familly we are not milloners but if you want good stuff you must pay.

:oops:

This PC I have now costed me 5000 Rand, but if you build your own PC up from scratch here you can pay 6000 Rand and have the best of the best, but my mom wanted the PC, so we got it.

Henk

Patriot does have a lifetime warranty, and it was cheaper, and it had a blue heatspreader on it.

It cost me exactly $902 with shipping from NewEgg.com

Also, I’m running the Serenade shell:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/DerMann3/desktop27-2-06.jpg

Oh, ok now I see. This PC I will leave for my mom to use and I will build my own. The only thing I have against a PC is that it can get outdated very fast.

Now what anti virus do you have and what games on PC do you love the most?

Well I have Age of Empires 3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, GTA VIce City, GTA San Andreas.

I have Avast anti virus home edition and it kicks ass all the way.

Oh, also what cool stuff do you have on your PC?

Henk

I rarely use antivirus because it unistalls Serenade (my shell), but if I detect a virus I manually get rid of it.

I play most of the games based off of Steam, Battlefield 1942 (and mods for it), and Battleflield 2.

I have a dell 8400 ya I know LOL but I do have a kick as@ 42 plasma that I use LOL

and my kid HAD to be in the photo :lol:

I have Panda Antivirus Platinum and he is very good better then Kaspersky.

I have Panda Antivirus Platinum and he is very good better then Kaspersky.[/quote]

Bitdefender from http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/index.php?country_id=120

Whats that agian one small AV program,my panda with updating every day can regonize and desinfect 200.000 viruses…also have firewall,mail protection,and file protection.

Avast does the same mate. Everytime it updates it updates the virus database and how to protect your PC. Wile my PC is running it still scans and also repairs files that were damaged or has errors on them.

Never had a problem with it mate as long as you update your PC is save.

Henk

Maybe i dont know i always have Panda and he seems good,never hava a problem,i also use AdAwere and SpyBot S&D i hate spywares especially Alexa :x and Cool Web Search for him the best one is CWShreeder.

Spybot is crap mate. I had it and everything went through it and I had to detect it manualy and it did not warn me against spyware. Does Panda not detect spyware? You will always have Spyware if you use Spybot.

If you are happy it must be great.

Henk.

I rate adaware, I’ve used it for a few years and it seems to do the trick. I also have the full Norton package which includes adware prevention software.