Minimum posts

I’m currently reading on how we can limit people from creating new threads in the forums if they are new and have no posts.
Would like some feedback to see if it would be useful to reduce spam, but am wondering where the spam is posted cuz you guys delete it so fast :mrgreen:. Do spammers reply to threads or create new threads?
Also if we have this rule, do you think newbies will be frustrated? We could say you need 3 posts before you can create a thread.
Other ideas/suggestions/comments?

I’ve heard of a few forums forcing people to make five or ten posts, or to having their post privileges limited to a special intro forum initially, before they can start threads or even post in all forums…

Both, but the ones I see mostly reply to threads and often are necroposting.

Not if they’re seriously interested in topics on the site.

It would get rid of the people who start a thread to find out something on one topic, such as for an education assignment or to identify an item of military equipment, and who will never post in another thread or otherwise contribute to the site.

Then again, some members like responding to those enquiries and it all adds to site knowledge.

That’s fine with me.

Maybe we could make it a specified number of posts with a specified number of replies. Even at one post and one reply it would get rid of most spammers who start a thread and others who necropost as there won’t be any replies in most cases

EDIT: But I wouldn’t make it public that the reply is required, or the spammers will just reply to their own posts or perhaps get someone else to reply.

if spam is mainly posted by replying, then this new rule might not make much sense.

I intended that to apply only to new threads started by spammers and to spammers necroposting on old threads which aren’t likely to generate a reply.

I’ve found a good plugin and have installed it: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=236069
Right now I have restricted the following:
To be able to start a new thread in the website section a minimum of 10 posts is required. This will reduce the number of website promotions and increase the quality of submissions.
The post count the user must have before he or she can post visitor messages is 5 or greater.
For the signature to show, the post count has to be 5 or higher

This can be restricted in any section:
Minimum post count user must have to be able to view forum
Minimum post count user must have to be able to view thread content
Minimum post count user must have to be able to create new threads
Minimum post count user must have to be able to reply to threads
Minimum post count user must have to be able to view links and images
Minimum post count user must have to be able to post links and images

So I’d would suggest that we also add ‘Minimum post count user must have to be able to post links and images’ to all public forum sections, except maybe the photo research section. We can set the minimum to 5, so new users don’t get frustrated too quickly.

Opinions? I rather start with lax restrictions and then increase them if necessary.

Let’s hope I set everything correctly :smiley:

If you see anything that doesn’t make sense (users complaining they can’t do certain things or them being able to do things they shouldn’t) then let me know ASAP! Thanks! I really want to see this wonderful place spam free.

Refined it a bit.
Cannot PM if <=5 posts.

Have you changed the moderation tools at all? Took me two attempts to nail a spammer just now, normally it’s only one.

Yeah. And I can no longer access the Moderation control page to “Edit User ID.”

I never could! If these powers are restored to Nickdfresh please think of me.

Can you be more specific? You can’t access it because it’s not there or because you are denied access?

give it a try…I changed one thing.

Hey, “Moderator Control Panel” rules!:smiley:

so you’re all good now?

Yep. See it, thanks…

We have even more power with the force, Padawan… :slight_smile: