Modafinil

I’m unsure of what medical substances can be prescribed/issued to pilots within the forces, but the subject has now grabbed my interest.

Are there any site members who can shed some (clear) light on the subject ?

Actual fact would be appreciated, but failing that Wikipedia or edited Googled info will appear I’m sure !

anything that you find on google etc should be referneced and a URL should appear with it.

rr.director is not a proper reference point.
and typing in your own numbers is a retarded thing to do as well!

Hi Folks

I am new on here but having been directed to this site following some comments about Provigil, I would like to make a few observations. Some of these answer the question posed by Cuts. Some refer to a previous thread.

Firstly let me explain that I work in MoD and have close links with the Defence Medical Supplies Agency (as it was) but my knowledge of the first war in the Gulf is limited. I am also qualified to talk about medicines, including prescribing restrictions for aircrew. Some of what I say will repeat what has been said before but I include it for completeness sake. Not least as the last thread has disappeared.

The UK has issued strict guidelines on which drugs can and cannot be prescribed for aircrew. This is based on research. The only Accountable Drug that I have seen listed in this document is Temazepam - a Benzodiazepine used to help pilots sleep. The use is very tightly controlled - as proven by the issues made to individuals.

I would like to make a few notes about in drug terminology and use:

Morphine, diamorphine, etc are called Opiates in the UK and (I believe) are called Narcotics in The States. In the UK these are at very least ‘Accountable Drugs’ but in most cases are ‘Controlled Drugs’.

Amphetamines are stimulants and are a completely different class of drugs. These, in the UK are ‘Controlled Drugs’

The UK also has a Tri-service policy regarding drugs that may be prescribed off-license. There is no mention of Modafinil in this list in the last few years. Again - can’t comment on Gulf1.

Modafinil

Modafinil (Provigil) is in another completely different class of drugs from any the above. That is to say it works in a different way. Modafinil is NOT a Controlled Drug. Nor is it, as far as I know, even an ‘Accountable Drug’. Please correct me if I am wrong. The reason I am not entirely certain is because I have never come across it in the last eight years- where I have been closely involved with Drug Registers (ALL CDs and Accountable drugs are recorded) i.e. I have never ever seen it used (this has included aircrew sites) I include ops in Iraq (2003), Afghanistan (2003), Balkans (1997 and 1999). I cannot comment on Gulf1.

Modafinil has a license for the treatment of narcolepsy. This does not preclude it for use in other areas, although this use would be off-license.

Somewhere in the depths of an earlier thread someone highlighted the side effects of modafinil. Look closely and you will see that they are identical to those of caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant. Should we ban coffee?

(Can I also make the comment: What a Distribution Centre (eg DMED, MSA) orders in NOT a valid indicator of drug usage. I can elaborate if you want but I am assuming that anyone with Common Sense would work this out. Some drugs can be distributed right down to troop level and STILL not used - NAPS is a classic example)

Cuts - in answer to your question- Aircrew prescribing has been the bane of my life in past jobs! Aircrew DO use medication - but what they can use, even for common conditions, is very tightly controlled. Aircrew are well aware of their limits as they are quite keen not to kill themselves, believe it or not! In my opinion they seem to treat any prescription with distrust! The chances of them taking anything that has not been researched and fully explained to them is minimal.

I can fairly safely say that in the past eight years there has been no use of modafinil, by aircrew, on OPS. I am always open to correction as long as statements can be substantiated. . The only other thing I would like to say is do not throw stones in glasshouses :

http://www.dcmilitary.com/army/pentagram/8_06/national_news/21626-1.html[/b]

Thanks for that post - very informative, especially the part on drug terminology. It’s a misunderstanding on terminology that helped stop a previous discussion forming and a flame war blew up instead as everybody argued at cross-purposes.

Thanks for the info Morphs, and welcome to the site !

I was pretty sure that the taking of medication by aircrew was pretty tightly controlled, something I’ve taken on board from those I’ve worked with.
They too mentioned that various over-the-counter remedies are issued to them by the MO rather than they obtain it for themselves, precisely because of the combined effects that can occur.
It doesn’t take the brains of a rocket scientist to work that out.

As you say their interest in self-preservation is remarkably high !

I’m not quite sure why it was thought that the “revelations” about the MoD buying Provigil would “hurt” British posters, since I posted the following quote on May 30th, in the “War Stimulators” thread.
http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=143

Sorry I don’t have a link to the article, but The Grauniad wasn’t the only paper to run the story.
It was hardly a state secret.
Morphs, I’d be interested for any info you might have on the so-called ergogenic aids,
As I understand it they include anabolics etc?

Link to a fuller article on the Guardian’s archive.

http://www.acftv.com/news/article.asp?news_id=117&

Reiver,

I’ll need to do a bit of background on ergogenic drugs to make sure my facts are up to date. Will get back with some info in a few days time.

Morphs

Thanks for the info about this. Oh and welcome aboard.