Model kit making

Hi

Any one on this Forum interested, in model making, I mean kit or scratch build, I’ve just started a 1:35 scale five British soldiers, now although I have built plastic kits, its not in a big way, I get rid of all the flashing, paint them, and to my eyes, they look OK, then put them into a little diorama, but I was at a model shop a month ago, and was told, to use a wash?, anyone used this.

If this is off-subject to this Forum, please delete, thank you.
Chunky

All techniques that apply to AFV apply to figures as well.
Yes, undercoat + basecoat + highlight + wash …

Hi steben

Thank you for your help, going by what you are saying on highlight + wash, now would using the wash bring out the highlight, because I was told at the shop, you would use a different wash, as to what you are painting, say a face or tank, just using these as two examples.

True. Since washes are nothing more than very diluted paints, often different kind of paint than the base in order to protect it, you need to choose the paint (colour) in function of the base. Washes tend to creep and crawl (because of capillarity) into cavities and holes. You can use redbrown washes to enhance depth on faces, or use the same wash on tanks to simulate accumulated rust.
Washes and highlight have the same goal, but work the other way around. Washes bring out dark and light by creating depth, highlights bring out directly the lighter parts.

Thank you again steben, I can see what your saying now, can’t wait to get some, and try it out.

try this one (classic drybrush & wash technique):
http://paintingmunkystyle.blogspot.be/2011/01/painting-recipes-gold.html

Hi steben

Thank you for the link.

Don’t think I’m ever going to be as good the link you give me, apart from my other WW1/WW2 interests, I like to have a go at plastic kit making, then making a little diorama for them, it gives me something to do, and enjoyment. All the best Chunky