Montgomery

In the history class of my faculty the teacher asked what Bernard Montgomery told to some paratroopers in the battle of El Alammein. I’ve searhed in many sites and books but found nothing. It would help a lot if you’d help.

(sorry for any mistakes)

As far as I am aware there were no paratroops present at El Alamein in the British Commonwealth, Italian or German Armies (should that really be Allied and Axis as there were French, Polish, Greek troops also in theatre and I am sure I will have missed out others)

Here is an order of battle for forces in the Middle East on 23rd October 1942

http://niehorster.orbat.com/500_eto/42-10-23_north-africa.html

Does he mean the SAS ? which were formed in the Middle East

Looking into it a bit more I forgot the German Ramke Brigade and the Folgore (Although it was re-designated an Infantry Div by the 2nd Battle).

Now if you are looking for quotes from Monty about the British Paras then here goes. Not said at El Alamein but was said by ‘Montgomery of El Alamein’

What manner of men are these who wear the Maroon Beret?

"They are firstly, all volunteers and are then toughened by hard physical training. As a result they have that infectious optimism and that offensive eagerness which comes from physical well being. They have jumped from the air and by doing so have conquered fear.

Their duty lies in the van of battle; they are proud of this honour and have never failed in any task. They have the highest standards in all things whether it is skills in battle or smartness in the execution of all peacetime duties. They have shown themselves to be as tenacious and determined in defence as they are courageous in attack. They are in fact, men apart - every man an Emperor.

Of all the factors, which make for success in battle, the spirit of the warrior is the most decisive. That spirit will be found in full measure in the men who wear the Maroon Beret."

• Montgomery of El Alamein

http://www.reddevilsonline.com/about_us/the_paras

teacher asked what Bernard Montgomery told to some paratroopers in the battle of El Alammein. I’ve searhed in many sites and books but found nothing. It would help a lot if you’d help.