Monument Weapons

I have been traveling around my area, taking pics of different weapons that have been turned into monuments. Towns, and cities have them to commemorate the different wars, and those who fought them, and the veterans organizations,(Veterans of foreign wars,American Legion, etc.) have them at their posts, (bars) . So, I though it a good idea to gather these images to share with you all. Even though its already posted, I’ll include the Japanese type 98 A.A. gun. Enjoy, I’ll continue to add to this as new pieces become available.
The modern Howitzer is a 155m.m. U.S. model, sitting in front of a National Guard armory just down the road from the Japanese A.A. gun.Then there is the type 98 A.A. gun, as pointed out it is in front of a private home, where it has been for 40+ yrs.
Next are these fine specimens from the American Civil War, placed at Cuttler park in the city of Waukesha. (most place names in my area are of American Indian origin, and there are a few mounds in the park built by some of the older bands that lived here about 2,000 yrs ago.) I dont know the names of these guns, no names were cast into them, though they could be Dahlgrens, (anyone have an idea?)and are of 8 inch caliber. the small bronze gun is of 2 inch caliber, and seems to have been a presentation gun, though it may well have seen action in that war.
The Flagpole monument bears a plaque about the original founder of the city, and I have placed my glove in picture to provide a size comparison for the round shot placed in the base.

These pics are from an american Legion post in a town to the south, it is unusual for a post to have a tank, and a field piece too.
The Tank is an M-60A3, (The wind speed/direction sensor on the turret gives that away.)
The howitzer is I think the same model as in the first post.a 155m.m. gun.

Beautiful town, nice pics.

I want this one for blank firing in importat dates like independence day, xmas, etc…that big bore should be great to anoy late bed neighbours :slight_smile:

It surely would my friend, and you could really load the thing to, no small charge, even the civil war guns could handle a couple pounds of black powder. Oh the ringing ears!! But that is the fourth of July in America, good fun!

Well, we have two dates , the 25 of may and july 9th.

I have something llike that but in small scale, the gun in the pictures is definately Major Leagues. :smiley:

To be sure my friend, an 8 inch gun is a formidable weapon, you could stuff alot of black Powder into it, and really wake the neighbors.
I have a small Barney salute cannon, I dont know how old it is, it has a 3/4 inch bore, and weighs in pretty heavy. 60-70 lbs. All cast Iron. It will safely hold a charge of 70 grains of FF black powder. Its lots of fun to shoot.

Nice piece4 ! the mine is 17,5 mm, turned from a solid SAE 1038, it shoot great but have no wheels.

My skills with wood are very limited :neutral:

You can always turn some wheels from brass, or steel, many naval carriages had iron wheels, you might go that route.
ply wood will make a nice wheel if you prefer a field carriage, just layout the disk, to show thw spokes etc, and saw out the uneeded wood to form the details. a little varnish, or paint, and you’re in business…
I once made a Spanish howitzer from a 125mm piece of 4340 moly steel, Took a long time on the lathe, turning the outer details, (re-inforces etc) then came the drilling/boring.
My largest bit was 2-1/4 inches,so I used a boring bar to open out the the finish size of 3-1/16 inch. This also incorporated a sub chamber to hold the powder charge. (up to 4 ounces.)
Sadly, I sold that one to a man with alot of money, It would have been fun to shoot it.

Thanks , you are giving me some ideas for a project.

I sold that one to a man with alot of money

Wich is a lot better than sold it to a man with little money. :cool:

Oh, so true my friend, I’m glad it went to someone who appreciated it for the fun, and usable model it was.
I constructed another gun in the 80’s, a full scale Coehorn mortar, The gun itself I bought from Hern Iron works in Idaho, and I built the bed according to plans I found in a catalog. I used ash for the timber parts, and made my own iron parts, (the plus side of having a blacksmith shop) It was true to the original, I never fired it, I kept it as furniture for years. It was the only such model I regret selling.
Gun modeling is a great hobby, so let your creativity loose, and make what you like, as you like it. Just be sure the local laws dont interfere, especially if you decide to make a breech loader.

The only law that run todays in the workshop is the lunch, If I dont eat something decent by 12.45 I get REALLY pissed. :wink:

In other hand the black powder guns are completely registration and legislation free, so far.

I like that shop rule, a good and hale lunch everyday.
The laws concerning black powder muzzle loading guns are the same here, no matter the bore size, 6mm, or 400mm, all the same. But a breech loader with a bore dia. of more than .500 inch must be papered like a machinegun.

Excellent thread mate tankgeezer:)
Tomorrow we will selebrate the Victory in the Great Patriotic War.

This is not in my city , but we have in Krasnodar and area a dozen simular.

Hello Chevan, I’m a fan of the T-34 series, an excellent vehicle for the conditions it worked in. And a hale celebration your Victory day should be! so celebrate well! (but not too well, mind your liver now, we all want you healthy) :slight_smile:

The laws concerning black powder muzzle loading guns are the same here, no matter the bore size, 6mm, or 400mm, all the same. But a breech loader with a bore dia. of more than .500 inch must be papered like a machinegun.

That mean a .52 caliber Spencer or a .54 Sharp is in the same level as an UZI ??

For some reason that does not sound logic, but of course logic is not the usual prerrogative of gun law makers. :roll:

A picture that I took in Tiberias, Israel in 1979. IIRC, it was a French made 65mm mountain gun used by the Israelis against the Syrians in the 1948 Middle East War.

Good catch my friend! I had forgotten about those rifles, regular type firearms, like the different types of original, and reproduction, rifles & carbines are not considered destructive devices, even being breech loaders over .500 inch,they are in a different catagory of anitique, curio, or relic.but a breech loading cannon, even a small scale model is considered a D.D. if the bore is .510 " or larger. Then there is the question of it being a short barreled rifle,or shotgun, if rifled, and chambered for anything larger than a pistol cartridge, the BBL length must be greater than 16" (including chamber I believe)and for a shot shell chamber with smooth bore, greater than 18" Some salute cannon are exempt from this general rule, so its always better to check before building. Like you say, logic is forbidden in the making of laws.
There is a site on the web that deals in model cannon, and parts, so you might find ideas, or things you might purchase from them, cannonmania.com its fun just to have a look through their site, very cool stuff.

Destructive device ? that sounds sinister hehe thanks for the legal info TankG :slight_smile:

Nice Pictures George, I remeber vaguely a History Channel program of the series “Tales of the gun” in wich some like that was showed, it seems that the IAF destroyed an arab tank in 1948 with the old french guns…

One mine, hehe, German field howitzer Krupp M1910 cal. 75 mm depicted in Molinari, some 65 km from home.

Our beautiful national crest engraved on the breech: “Modelo Argentino serial 493”

The pictures was taken in december, that explains my “summer uniform” :cool:

Great Crest on that howitzer, don’t see them like that anymore, That would make another fine holiday salute cannon :slight_smile: