Movie Reccomendations

I need some, I signed up for the Blockbuster online. I put Stalag, to hell, stalingrad I need more good war flics, or movies in general. Any suggestions? :smiley:

FW-190 told me about this cool flick coming out about the last days of the 3rd Reich. The movie is called Downfall. Not sure when it will be out on DVD. Looks really good.

http://www.downfallthefilm.com/

I want to see that now. I checked amazon they have it but no release date. I found it on ebay but I wouldn’t buy something like that off ebay probably get a burnt crappy bootleg with my luck.

of course its not out yet, its extremely new

German Amazon:
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002Z16HY/302-9390541-8432824

And from imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/board/thread/16753009?d=16835280#16835280

Looks like a new WW2 movie might be coming out about Iwo Jima. Could be a good flick.

http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=3171480

My favorite movies are:

Das Boot - Directors Cut
Saving Private Ryan
Memphis Belle
Peal Harbor (mostly for the effects, not historically accurate)
Enemy at the Gates

I heard Dark Blue World was also a really good one but I haven’t been able to find it in any blockbuster.

This is a pretty decent movie about the trials at Nuremburg. I really enjoyed it. Brian Cox does a really good job at playing Herman Goering.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0208629/

If they have "THE Longest Day "

or " A Bridge Too Far" I would recommend them.

Another cool movie is called Fatherland in which the Germans beat back the invasion of Normandy and then the Allies sue for peace. The Germans and the Russians continue in war but at a Stalemate. So in the 60’s some of the people discover what really happens to the Jews and the plot thickens. Decent movie with Rutger Hauer.

Enemy at the Gates.

It’s the story of the famous Russian WWII sniper Vasilli Zaitev. Fantastic movie with great acting, set design, cast, efeects, cinematography, etc. Check it out.

Battle of Britain is also worth a watch although I bought it recently for under a tenner.

really, someone in the forum say russian soldiers piss at this movie since it didnt accurately discribe history

really, someone in the forum say russian soldiers piss at this movie since it didnt accurately discribe history[/quote]

I heard also many critics on Enemy at the Gates. Also Band of Brothers series seems to be not so accurate.
On the other hand it seems that Germans could make very good (and accurate) movies on WW2. Check Das Boot!!

I have heard a bit of criticism aimed at Enemy at the Gates but them when a film is Hollywooded then it has to appeal rather than portray accurately. Take that u-571 Never going to watch it as it’s a blatent abuse of the facts.

really, someone in the forum say russian soldiers piss at this movie since it didnt accurately discribe history[/quote]

Never heard that. Oh well. I’m a tough sell when it comes to realism in films, and I loved it. It was quite realistic indeed. Let’s not forget that every movie, from “Hollywood” or otherwise will be by some measure an embellishment of the facts. Motion pictures have always been that way. It’s called entertainment. That’s what keeps people, like yourself, renting movies. I doubt you rented “Rush Hour” because it was so factual. lol Documentaries simply don’t cause people to rush out to the movie rental stores.

It sounds like a rumor to me. And this nameless critic knows all those Russian soldiers who “piss at” the movie? I saw the film and it seemed very accurate to the way things truly were. Try saying something else if you disagree, like stating why you disagree, instead of making up quotes from someone who knows Russian soldiers who hate the movie.

Ok Ironman over here we have a television channel that operates without adverts :shock: I know from being in the states that it wouldn’t work over there probably because of lack of concentration (Possibly due to junk food intake :stuck_out_tongue: ) I enjoy watching action movies yes but that is what they are they aren’t attempting to portray historical facts.

I also enjoy watching documentaries about the real events including interviews with people from both sides and have read books written by members of the German Army and Air Force.

I still await to see what part you played iin WW2 if you know so much about it?

Rubbishing other peoples posts because you don’t hold the same opinions is very low.

You fought in WWII? lol

Posting false staments just to be arbitrary doesn’t get you anywhere, any more than the America bashing you are doing in another thread does. Surely you don’t believe that people are’nt smart enough to see what you are doing when you make up such falsehoods. Say something factual instead of making up garbage like… “I heard a guy say in a forum that the Russian army doesn’t like that film because…”

You fought in WWII? lol

Posting false staments just to be arbitrary doesn’t get you anywhere, any more than the America bashing you are doing in another thread does. Surely you don’t believe that people are’nt smart enough to see what you are doing when you make up such falsehoods. Say something factual instead of making up garbage like… “I heard a guy say in a forum that the Russian army doesn’t like that film because…”
[/quote]

I never claimed to be in WW" but you seemed to know how realistic a film on it was so were you there, to know realism?

abx