My Dad's WW2 War diary - A Green Howard

Members may be interested in the site (Grim Determination) I’ve created as a companion to Dad’s war diary (Bill Cheall).
I’ve been researching and editing my dad’s war diary for the last several years. He was a Green Howard at Dunkirk, North Africa, Sicily, D-Day and ended the war as an East Lanc in Hamburg. He was a batman, cook, No 1 Bren, No 1 Mortar and wounded in action. If you are interested to find more info, loads of pictures and ephemera, please visit grimdetermination.co.uk where you can read the first chapter, located on the beaches at Dunkirk. Also, there are over 200 names of comrades and contacts listed which may be of interest to geneology enthusiasts. The book is to be published next year. Thanks, Paul

Wow! Your Dad certainly had quite the experience in the war. My hat is off to him, a great patriot, a defender of freedom and all that is good. I look forward to reading all about him.

Good to see those pictures of him from back then. I’ve enclosed a few of my Dad from his service in the Seabees, and also one from his 83rd year taken some 5 years ago.

Dad in uniform012.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. Yes if anyone could be said to have had a “good” war then Dad’s was I guess. Latest news it’s launching 19 May and is now available with pre-order discount from amazon at: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fighting-Through-Dunkirk-Hamburg-Howards/dp/1848844743/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298486614&sr=1-1. Read the first chapter and previews at www.fightingthrough.co.uk.
I enjoyed looking at your Dad’s pics - esp the later one when he is looking very reflective.
Paul

I’ve only just read this post so sorry for taking such a long time to acknowledge it - loved the pics of your Dad. What were the Seabees?

Researching my dad’s war diary, now published by Pen and Sword. Called Fighting Through - From Dunkirk to Hamburg. Dad was at Dunkirk, North Africa, Sicily, D-Day and Hamburg. Batman, cook, No 1 Bren, No 1 mortar, wounded in action. Green Howards, East Yorks and East Lancs. For more info, pics and ephemera please visit www.FightingThrough.co.uk where you can read the first chapter, located on the beaches at Dunkirk. Also, over 200 names of comrades and contacts are listed which may be of interest to geneology enthusiasts.

The U.S. Navy Seabess were that branches construction battalians. Seeing a need for militarily trained construction people, they were started early in the war. At first I believe they were primarily used in the pacific theatre, but they also did service in Europe at some point. Looking at my fathers service book, one can see that there were a lot of older men already proficient in the construction trades. My father, who was in his early 20’s, was a machinist by trade, but was assigned as a carpenter in the service.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!