My family, you might know...

This is the story of my uncles grandfather, Dietrich von Choltitz

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/general_dietrich_von_choltitz.htm
I met my uncles mother some month ago, and we started talking about it…
I thought it might interested some, how linked some germans still are to the second World War and its results.
I’m proud of him for not destroying paris!

I think he is not innocent, he supported the nazis and fought for them, but in the end he realized the Insanity and turned to humanity. Better late than never i say.
What do you think?

I think not destroying Paris was have to do more in wanting to save his own neck (the French would excecute him if he would destroy their capital) than turning to humanity.

Haha, yea you may think so, i don’t :smiley:
Not every German serving in the Wehrmacht was a badass Nazi or feign.
At least he fought for several years, risking his life quite some times.
So i doubt it was just because he wanted so save his neck…

Greetings to Israel btw!

I meant no disrespect, I well aware not every German who fought in WW2 was a Nazi, some of them were pretty honorable soldiers, however I tend to doubt the “rebirth” stories of many high ranking TR official and generals that seen the light and know how much they were wrong (i.e Speer) and see that as merely a way to save themselves from the furry of the victorious.

Of course it’s just my opinion and I could be totally wrong.

From what i heared from my family, my point is true :wink:
But yea, who can really know what happens in a man’s brain…?

Reminds me of a quiz quetion:

Q. “How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris ?”

A. “Unknown, it’s never happened.”

Reminds me of a quiz quetion:

Q. “How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris ?”

A. “Unknown, it’s never happened.”[/quote]

Well that reminds me of a saying, haha, quite a nasty one:

Q:“Whats the French War Flag?”

A:“White Stripes on white ground”

:wink:

I have to recognize that those are amusing but please boys no more French jokes, stay on topic. :roll:

While we on the subject, do you have his awards? if so please post them.

While we on the subject, do you have his awards? if so please post them.[/quote]

Yea that would be interesting! Weather or not he was trying to save his ass … I think he deserves an award for not burning Paris to the ground! However the ppl there are something else to be said for! JK :smiley:

While we on the subject, do you have his awards? if so please post them.[/quote]

I don’t have them, they are still property of his daughter, she lives a few hundred miles away…

What i have is my Grandfathers helmet, and a cap of a flak offizier he found in front of his house when the local Wehrmacht units surrendered…