Napoleon war discussion

I dont know if this has been discuss before
But i was thinking this when i was watching the documentary video about Napoleon. On the battle of waterloo, the Prussian army was just defeated and Napoleon has send 1/3 of his troops to persue the Prussian army. However, the Prussian army has able to come back and meet with the English and beat the French elite army.

But what if instead of sending 1/3 of his army to persue the fleeing Prussian army, Napolean would instead send 1/3 (all in calvary) to attack Prussian itself, burn all building in their ways and tried to get the civilians involved. Maybe that would forced the Prussian army to show up and save their own kind instead of going back to meet the English troops?

What do you think?

It could win him the battle. But I don’t believe in civilians involved.
How you want get involvement of peasants scared to death with the battle around???

Lancer44

It could win him the battle. But I don’t believe in civilians involved.
How you want get involvement of peasants scared to death with the battle around???

Lancer44[/quote]
o, because if you dont get the peasants involved, it is kind of hard to weaken the Prussian army’s determination to join the British military

One the Prussian army was in Belgium and not a lot of civvies to chase (like WW2). They would have turned on the French like Spain and Russia.

Two cavalry unsupported would die very quickly.

Three by pursuing the Prussians Napoleon hoped to force them away from the allied forces and have an army between them.

Four Napoleon would need his cavalry to pursue the allies if he won, or they would just withdraw and regroup for another day. Napoleon did not have the luxury of time, Austria and Russia were moving in, not now but in a month or two and he needed quick victories.

Oh and Napoleon believed in combined ops.

Hmm, Fw-190 Pilot, your way of thinking is theoretically correct, something like that could work, (it’s just my opinion and I’m totally ignorant in subject of “Western Europe peasents mentality in 19 century…”, so I think that your scheme would work in South America - different tempers - but not in Belgium.

I agree with 2nd of foot, that “litle corporal” liked combined operations. This liking won him a few battles and nearly crippled England.

Cheers,

Lancer44