Navajo Code Dictionary

Don’t know if it has been posted here before. I find it rather interesting myself.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq61-4.htm

Finally, a factual and interesting topic that cannot (I hope) be hijacked by a certain member (in all senses of the word).

Very interesting although one entry caught my eye:

Meaning - SPAIN
Navajo - DEBA-DE-NIH
Literal meaning - SHEEP PAIN

Surely that should stand for Wales? :smiley:

Who were the Navajo’s, and whose army did they fight in?

They were an ethnically homogenous group recruited by the US army en-masse…

They were an ethnically homogenous group recruited by the US army en-masse…[/quote]

Their language was used by the American army during WW2 as a code, it was never cracked.

JAPAN BEH-NA-ALI-TSOSIE SLANT EYE

hehe :smiley: The literal translations are really good.

FRANCE DA-GHA-HI BEARD

does anyone know why france literal translation is beard?

The Japs captured a Navaho, but he wasn’t one of the “codetalkers” - all he could do was translate literally, which was not much use. This had been anticipated, which is why they used different words for important things.

They were an ethnically homogenous group recruited by the US army en-masse…[/quote]

I think you might be better off saying that they are Native Americans predominantly from the Arizona/New Mexico region of the US.

There is an alright movie about it called Windtalkers with Nicholas Cage about them.

Im going to move this to the American Military section.

Bluffy, the Navajo were, as mentioned, an ethnic group of Native Americans. They were used as radio operators by US forces in the Pacific, the theory being that they could then talk in a Navajo batco, which would have to be decoded and then translated into english. Obviously, the code was fairly simple, and the Navajo could translate into English real time, as they were biliungal, which made for quick and very secure communicatios. IIRC, the Navajo were chosen because theirs was the language with the smallest group speaking it (but presumably with enough men of military age to be useful.) so it was highly unlikely that anyone in the Japanese sphere of influence would have even heard of them, let alone speak it.

Still sound like cannon fodder to me!
:lol:

Dont see how??? They were used for coding. They understood if they would be shot in the possible event of caputure so that they wouldnt be tortured and the code be broken.

very interesting,good info.

They were signalers and radiomen. They were not sent into battle with guns on the front lines as a group of soldiers. In’t that what you meant? Surely you aren’t dredging up that old Gurkhas crap again.

Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia Paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia paranoia.

The first person to use the “G” word in that thread was you, The thread had moved well beyond the post you quoted, when you dug up that nutmeg to throw into the conversation.

Stop looking for new fights and try to survive the ones your in, or better yet, go and eat up the tablets behind th cinder bricks in your yard!

No. Please don’t dredge it up again. It’s fruitless, stupid, and unproductive for you.

No. Please don’t dredge it up again. It’s fruitless, stupid, and unproductive for you.[/quote]

I think IRONMAN has finally understood Irony

hell yes! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RUSSIA SILA-GOL-CHI-IH RED ARMY
ICELAND TKIN-KE-YAH ICE LAND

These are not really difficult to decipher when you got the english word… :roll: :roll:

Didn’t the Nevaho lose a lot of their men folk this way?

Also I don’t think they were trained radio men. They were walking encoding devices, they had radio men with them. But will try to find some info on that.

They are very respected, to this day, in their native regions for what they did, and also never achieved great rank.

Remember watching an interview with one on Sky History (I think) he laughed when he mentioned how he had risen to mere Cpl rank (or LCpl USMC have them don’t they?) but on returning to the states he was greeted by a full military band (he came back with a group obviously).

In the band he saw Staffies and Sgt Majors. In the interview he just said how he thought the band must have been very important.

Oh, the ignorance of youth!!!

Or maybe just his modesty.

You should see how easy the British WWII code system was to decipher! :lol: