nco's

it always interests me when on 11th November each year we are told lest we forget - I think we should never forget - but - who do they mean - haig monty anyone else that is an officer - on 3rd june and 6th june 1944 two V C’s were won. Does anyone have any information about these wo gentlemen. Probably not as they were both Sergeants. Stan Hollis was awarded the only VC on 6th June - The only VC won/awarded for that great day in history. There isnt alot said about Sgt Hollis. On 3rd June Sgt Maurice Rogers lost his life fighting for his country - How much does anyone know about him. Alan Whiker did a two hour programme on Italy, Sgt Rogers not mentioned. Both hastings and ashcroft have written books about the winners of the VC’s neither of the Sgts are in the book. Lloyd Clark wrote about Anzio, Sgt Rogers who died at Ardea in Italy was never mentioned. I hope both of these men will always be remembered and perhaps someone who is clever enough can write about them

Man, this class warfare stuff went out with the ark. You do realise, of course, that it is harder for officers to get the VC than other ranks - simply due to the rule that a senior officer must be present to act as a witness in order for the award to be approved.

Same thing applied with the Military Cross/Military Medal in a different way - both represent exactly the same bravery standard, but officers can only be awarded the Military Cross. This requires outstanding leadership in addition to the bravery requirement.

Mentioning Alan Whicker is also a strawman arguament - he was an officer during the war and broadcasting about the experiences of him and his friends. You could equally have picked Spike Milligan as your example (after all he wrote a war memoir that is probably better known and more widely read) and claim that officers were disriminated against.

Finally, with my mod hat on, please use punctuation, capital letters and paragraphs. Your post is downright painful to try and read.

The Cenotaph, Whitehall, London, remembers ‘The Glorious Dead’.
No names mentioned there.

Also, the Unknown Soldier’s Tomb in Westminster Abbey contains a man without name. He is there to represent everyone that lost their life in WW1, in the first instance, but has come to be recognised as representing all of the fallen.

You may have a point regarding authors and books. I often wonder why Sergeant Ian McCay doesn’t get the same recognition as ‘H’ Jones. He certainly earned it. High profile rank etc.?

Still, one could always write to the offending authors and complain, or, even better, write a book. :slight_smile:

NCO’s are the backbone of the British Army. It is usually their skill, experience, knowledge and courage that carries things through.

The junior officers are there to learn their trade so that they become better and more able senior officers and commanders.

No One Should Be Forgotten But I Believe They Are. However The Nco’s Are The Backbone But Are Very Rarely Recognised For That Fact

Assuming you are correct, and that you’re not just simply having a whinge, realistically: what would you have done about it - where, when and how?

1. What the hell is it with you and punctuation/grammar?
  2. You’ve got to be the only person on the planet who thinks they aren’t!

I’m being a bit of hypocrit in making this recommendation, as I’m normally too idle to be bothered myself, but ‘Spellcheck’ might help. :smiley:

Who, me or Nigel? So far as I’m aware mine was spelt correctly, and spellcheck doesn’t show up anything obvious.
I was actually referring to the way that every word in his post starts with a capital letter. Quite, quite strange and not something that a spell checker would pick up.

No, not you,old man. I was directing my comments at Nige. Merely used your post to draw attention to the matter.

well pdf27 and 32 bravo humblest apolgies to u both. i shall try and do better. I am not having a whinge, it is just a belief that nco’s were/are the backbone of any army

Only the competent ones - lack of a decent set of NCOs is probably the biggest reason arab armies always lose unless fighting each other.

No need to apologise, old chap, we are, each of us, allowed to express our opinions.

Yes, it is the purpose of the senior NCO’s to hold everything together.

A friend of mine was a senior NCO, passed Senior-Brecon, Warminster Small Arms, Drill Instructor, Jungle Warfare Instructor, and even acted-up as platoon commander for twelve months, including a six month tour in South Armagh. He was then, after 12 years as a senior NCO, bust down to Corporal for being a naughty boy - the regiment didn’t know what the heck to do with him. :smiley: