Need a good book to read

Ok im huge on WW 2 research and i just need some help on a great book to read about WW2 so if you can give me all info on the book that would be much appreciated.

Care to be any more specific?

well i was looking more about the 101st airborne or about d-day omaha beach

To start, you could try

Stephen Ambrose

Band of Brothers, E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne: From Normandy to Hitler’s Eagle’s Nest (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1992)

D-Day, June 6, 1944: The Climactic Battle of World War II (New York, Simon & Schuster, 1994)

and

Biggest Brother : The Life of Major Dick Winters, The Man Who Led the Band of Brothers by Larry Alexander.

Regards

Richie

I thought Iron Coffins was an incredible book about German U-Boats by Herbert Werner who was one of the few U-Boat commanders to survive. I couldn’t put the book down.

Look for books about the Siege of Bastogne.

Try these:

http://www.liberationtrilogy.com/liberation_trilogy_books.htm

If you want a good book that will be current in 2010, I suggest "With the old Breed " by E.B. Sledge. This is the book that the miniseries “The Pacific” is based on. Very gritty, grim first person account, hard to forget, even harder to put down.

Other good reads
“The Longest day” by Cornelius Ryan
“Stalingrad” by Anthony Beevor
“The Fall of Berlin” by Anthony Beevor
“Alamo in the Ardennes” by John C. McManus ( I really liked this one alot)

Relatively new book on D-Day simply called “D-Day” by Anthony Beevor.
And ofcourse the classic “The Longest Day” by Cornelius Ryan.

Right now I’m reading Beevor’s Stalingrad the Fateful Siege:1942-1943. Not that has anything to do with the 101st.

Looking forward to that one and “Berlin” aswell.
This author really gets your attention, doesn´t beat around the bush and isn´t hellbend on asigning good and bad labels to either side.
I especially like his view on Montgomery.

Two very good books are “Voices from D-day” and “Voices from Stalingrad”, both by Jonathan Bastable.

I think I might be picking up Beevor’s The Fall of Berlin 1945. And Beevor pretty much points out the bad in all sides and distills WWII into the bad and worse as opposed to good guys versus the black hatted Nazis…

Addendum: I picked it up during lunch today and thankfully haven’t spilled anything on it yet. :slight_smile:

Should make for some nice, light summer reading. :shock:

…and he got a lot of problems with the Russians by doing so.

Check out Walter Kempowski, Das Echolot (engl.: Sonar), a huge collection of diary entries and field post from all countries, branches, classes, and stations. Search for Kempowski on Wikipedia.

I really enjoyed The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (1960), by William L. Shirer. There are better books but this is a great read.

EDIT: Sorry, Just read your second remark where you point out you’re looking for books on D-Day after posting this, this book isn’t solely specified on D-Day but covers the whole war, manely viewed from the german perspective.
The label on this book says its the best book ever written on WWII, guess I’ll find out:
The Storm of War by Andrew Roberts

Why did the Axis lose the Second World War? Andrew Roberts’s previous book Masters and Commanders studied the creation of Allied grand strategy; the central theme of The Storm of War is how Axis strategy evolved. Examining the Second World War on every front, Roberts asks whether, with a different decision-making process and a different strategy, the Axis might even have won. Were those German generals who blamed everything on Hitler after the war correct, or were they merely scapegoating their former Führer once they could criticism him with impunity?

In researching this uniquely vivid history, Roberts has walked many of the key battlefield and wartime sites of Russia, France, Italy, Germany and the Far East. The book also employs a number of important yet hitherto unpublished documents, such as the letter from Hitler’s director of military operations explaining what the Führer was hoping for when he gave the order to halt the Panzers outside Dunkirk. It is full of illuminating sidelights on the principal actors on both sides that bring their characters and the ways in which they reached decisions into fresh focus, and it presents the tales of many little-known individuals whose experiences make up the panoply of extraordinary courage, self-sacrifice but also terrible depravity and cruelty that was the Second World War.

That war lasted for 2,174 days, cost $1.5 trillion and claimed the lives of over 50 million people. Why did it take the course that it did? The Storm of War gives a succinct but dramatic account of the struggle that engulfed the world between 1939 and 1945 and, at the last, a convincing answer to that question.

Just found out that Kempowski’s Echolot doesn’t seem to be available in English yet.
Alex

The problem with that very brief analysis is that it assumes that the Axis powers wanted to live in peace with the peoples in their conquered territories rather that being content, as they were in fact, with conquering and suppressing them.

Conquest and suppression worked rather well for the Soviets in Europe for the best part of half a century, and much earlier for the Romans for several centuries in Europe and much later in various parts of the globe for the British for several centuries and for various other imperial powers elsewhere throughout history.

There is no reason it couldn’t have worked just as well for the Axis in Europe, or Asia and the Pacific, if things had turned out differently in those places for many reasons to do with military luck and domestic politics affecting all combatants.

Havn’t read The Storm of War yet and didn’t mean to spoil. My comment was based on my own studies and findings. If it is conform with Robert’s studies it’s a coincidence. I deleted my post, so if you (Silverback and Rising Sun) delete it in your quotes we forget about it.
Cheers!