Need help identifying WWII LOCATION in ASIA- JAPAN, HONG KONG, CHINA??

This photo was taken by a US soldier during occupation of a country in Asia. It came along with some other photos but this is the only hint I have to where in Asia these might have been taken. The problem is that I don’t know what it says or what language it is. Can anyone help?

Anyone???

At a guess, Chungking in the then Nationalist China.
Looking at the gate, and the high-peaked roof, the details of the tiles, I’m thinking the above.
Reasonably likely given that a very few unofficial photographs of the AVG environment exist.

The next most likely option would be somewhere in Burma, but the presence of the Chinese ideographs would seem to rule that prospect out.

I know this isn’t much help, but it might give you a couple of clues as to where to begin researching.

Regards, Uyraell.

Thanks for your input. I’ll check it out.

You are most welcome, Ryan 2010.
The other likely venue is somewhere in Kunming, also then Nationalist China, and where the AVG operated from for several months. Again though, photographic evidence of those times and relevant units/personalities are relatively rare. The Taiwan National archives might have further corroborative documentation. I’ve never researched there, so am uncertain of it.

Respectful Regards Ryan2010, Uyraell.