Need Help with M1 Helmet.

I think i have a M1 Helmet :confused: I checked it out and it appears to be produced during wartime (WWII).
I would like to know more about it. It appears to be black in some areas on the outer layer.

Cannot seem to upload the other pictures, but the seam is on the front of this helmet.

From what I can see, it has the front seam and I think the chinstrap bales are fixed ( not swivel ). IMHO, early war issue, 1942?

That is what I was thinking, thanks for the reply! If anyone could answer I am now wondering exactly what role this helmet might have been used in. Or what this model of the helmet may have been used in. I believe it is a Captain Insignia? Standard infantry or what? And does anyone have a clue about the blackness of it? It doesn’t seem to be paint, but I could be wrong.

How could anyone tell what that helmet went through just by looking at it?
Without paperwork or name of Captain, who knows?

Well like I said, I was asking if it was standard issue to all infantry or a certain part of the US Army. I know it’s not USAAF obviously. I’m thinking it is European theater US Army Infantry. The raised Captain insignia makes me wonder though. Just asking around for ideas or possibilities. So thank you for that helpful information. :wink:

Good point, I meant to ask where and who mostly used this helmet. I’m wondering about the raised captain insignia, did that really see war? Too many question, no mind readers. It certainly has the smell of age, I don’t know if you understand what I mean though. It smells the same way as everything in the WWII gallery at The National Museum of the United States Air Force. Maybe I’m crazy… Who knows!!! :army:

It seems the your right. That it did see action and well it very well looks like it. I am also going to say its early 1940’s. I want to say it was from the Pacific theater and saw action early in the war. Also for the other gentleman wondering about how can we tell. Well you can’t really you just have to guess of the knowledge you already know.

Why would it be from the Pacific?
Are you saying it was USMC?

“It seems the your right.” What does this mean?

It seems that you’re right?

This web site may help the OP:http://www.toppots.net/main.php?do=clientsitecontent&action=home&link_id=140

This page shows pics of raised bars: http://www.toppots.net/main.php?do=clientcategory&action=home&id=159

Well for sure I think it is the m-1 helmet and not the m-2 D bale helmet ( I own m-1 from 1942). usually since it was the few helmets used at the start of the war. I 75% sure its for the pacific.