New to this forum

Hi Guys, Just found ths forum and seems to be pretty nice. I have been collecting Japanese for a few years how. Thought I show you one of my favorite Japanese weapons.

strangms

The so-called knee mortar. There were tales of misguided GIs thinking the curved baseplate was held against the shin ! :shock:

Wonder if any Viets made a similar mistake with the US M59 ball grenade ?

the knee mortor seems to used as a grenade launcher. how were they issued.?

It’s not a grenade launcher - the name gives it away: it’s a mortar.

Issued in a similar manner to the British 2" mortar, I believe.

one per platoon?

The Japanese Grenade in the picture, you hit it on your helmet and throw it, it will explode on any hard surface it contacts. :smiley: , perfer the British hand grenades though.

By the Way Strangms, welcome to World War Two in Colour, if you need any help or a question to ask your welcome to ask me through private messaging located at the top of the site mate. :wink: :smiley:

Where do you get your gen from Cdo ?

The gren pictured, the Model 91, is operated by removing the safety, striking the fuze head against a hard object and throwing it.
It will explode when the, often highly erratic, fuze burns down.
It does not ‘explode on any hard surface it contacts.’

(Extra post noted.)

HI Guys,
Thanks for the welcome!
The Type 89 mortar used both the type 88 Mortar round and the type 91 grenade. Notice the booster on the grenade,this is for using in the mortar, I guess you could throw it. The type 97 and 99 grenade were the ones that they threw.
When the firing pin struck the primer in the booster it would sent the grenade out of the barrel. This grenade was also used in the Type 10 mortar.

The Japanese were very skilled in using this mortar, many of our officers want a weapon like it. The Army estimated that 80% of mortar casualties came form the “Knee Mortar”.

The Japanese had 3 mortars in a Mortar squad in each rifle platoon. There were 2 ammunition carriers per mortar.

The story goes that a Marine on Guadalcanal fired one of these on his thigh and broke his leg.

strangms

The gren pictured, the Model 91, is operated by removing the safety, striking the fuze head against a hard object and throwing it.

(Extra post noted.)[/quote]

Yup CJ if you watch We were soldiers there VC use that bombs,i think thats bomb burns all , do you remember US soldier that bomb explode close to him ,and one peace stick him on face , :?

(Extra post noted.)[/quote]

Yup CJ if you watch We were soldiers there VC use that bombs,i think thats bomb burns all , do you remember US soldier that bomb explode close to him ,and one peace stick him on face , :?[/quote]

From my recollection of the Movie it was a white phospherous granade you are talking about? Wasnt it?

A grenade that exploded after two bangs on a hard surface (helmet and target when thrown).

Sounds a good idea.

Can’t see a section attack going very far!!!

C fire team prepare to move!!!

Move.

D fire team prepare to move!!!

Move.

C fire team prepare to move!!!

Move.

Bang, Bang, Bang, Boom!!!

I really dont know i am confused ,for me they are same you are in right i guess ,i really dont remember what was granade.

the japanese invade the soviet union with german purchased tigers!

The bunnies turn Nazi!

LOL :lol: :lol: nice find Hosenfield

:lol:

What site did you find those on by the way?

a very hard to read and annoying site in japanese

http://www.genbun.net/

Very hard to read, all I get is a bunch of ??? lol, anyway thanks for the site :smiley: