Notes of a Sniper

Now i have been doing some research and i have been looking at a book called notes of a sniper. it is written by Vassili Zaitsev and its his memoirs of the war. If anyone has read it could they give me some feed back if i should buy it or not

ah the guy from “Enemy at the Gates”. I havent read “notes of a sniper” but from what I know of him this should be a pretty good book, I may pick it up myself. I have read “Stalingrad” by Carrol and he talks about the Sniper Battle that is depicted in the Movie, now the movie wasnt completely accurate, as is normal for any movie, but did have a lot of reallity in it and what I read in “Stalingrad” makes me think this should be pretty good…still wish I could find one from a German Sniper.

There are at least two very good ones, however I doubt that they were translated into English language.

What are these two good ones called?

“Im Auge des Jägers. Der Wehrmachtsscharfschütze Sepp Allerberger” by A. Wacker

"Im Fadenkreuz. Tagebuch eines Scharfschützen " by B. Sutkus

Allenberg’s book is translated in English.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sniper-Eastern-Front-Memoirs-Allerberger/dp/1844153177/ref=pd_ys_ir_all_13

In that case I would advise it to everybody interested in sniper warfare and everybody else as well. However, be warned, the book contains the most excessive portrayal of violence I ever encountered in a WW2 related book.

Do you mean “embellished” to give it more action, or telling of actual events?

I wouldn’t call it embellished, the book just doesn’t leave out any details of the fierce kind of the fightings on the (southern part of the) eastern front and sniper warfare in particular, e.g. Allerberger describes a sniper’s way to collapse/slow down an enemy infantry attack by placing low and kidney hits for the screaming of the wounded demoralizes the attacking troops . The fact that Allerberger didn’t want to give away his real identity with the first few print runs speaks for itself (he used the pseudonym “Franz Karner”).

Ah…That’s what I was wondering, thanks!

O my this book sounds amazing I NEED IT!!!

As I said, the most violent/intense stuff about WW2 I’ve ever read. Plus some of the protagonist’s private war-time photos to graphically chart the whole mess.

Well i dont understand if u have read it but you thought it wasnt printed in english how did you read it? can u speak German?

Never mind i am a retard u are from germany