October 3, 2010: Germany Closes WWI Reparations Payments

I found this quite interesting. Germany finally paid off the Reparations due under the Versailles treaty, YESTERDAY and without much fanfare, at least in the US.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,720156,00.html

If only the rest of what laid the foundation for WWII could also “expire”…

I was driving to a job and heard an article like this on the radio news channel. They came on with: “World War I will officially end on Saturday”. That was an attention getter.:slight_smile:

Edit: How are you Ardee? Good to see you!

Very ethereal indeed!

Until I heard it on the news yesterday I hadn’t thought about it but, if asked, I would have assumed that it was all completed decades ago and probably before WWII or somehow wiped out by WWII.

I wonder what the position is with WWII reparations, if any?

IIRC it was long after the war, maybe a decade or so ago, that Britain finally paid off its Lend Lease debt to the US.

Ditto.

I wrote about this subject -a.o.- for my MAVO examinations (i didn’t go deep into the matter, MAVO was: midium education, like a high-school i guess) Sadly i’ve lost all my stuff a few years ago and i forgot about it, till now that is.
But i’m kinda glad it’s over, i found the treaty of Versaile to harsh, this treaty has been altered many times before today (wich i found reasonable for most of it) To see it end (“the repayment part” in this case) is good news, i hope there’ll be more disputs around the globe that can get closure, especially for the victims, although it will be hard (for many impossible) i feel people must keep trying. And i’m not saying to forgive & forget everything, but holding a “grudge” isn’t healthy. That’s my wisdom for the world, on this subject (for now). Most people who lived trough WW I are dead so to put it behind us must be possible… atleast so i think.